Sr. Development Manager - AWS Compute Systems
- Seattle, WA
The AWS Hardware Engineering team is driving rapid innovation in the server systems used by Amazon Web Services. Our designs are fundamentally changing the data center, providing operational and financial benefits that are critical to the success of the AWS business and its millions of customers. We design and build devices and products used by AWS services such as EC2, EBS, S3, Glacier, and CloudFront. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems, and take big bets on new concepts, enabling AWS services to continue to revolutionize the industry.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a strong leader, comfortable managing in a hyper-growth environment with a high degree of ambiguity. You will be a seasoned general manager, leading a multi-disciplinary team to achieve AWS-wide outcomes. You will be an innovative, hands-on leader seasoned in building and leading teams developing components for the computing industry. You will be experienced with hardware, firmware, and software, as well as their combined architecture. You will have experience partnering with and improving your products for your customers. You will not be satisfied with the status quo and seek to innovate in the pursuit of better customer outcomes.
You and your team will identify and develop technologies for your customers ahead of when they are required. Your team will innovate, design, build, validate, and operate AWS server systems, and like products worldwide. Your team will engineer in diverse technology domains, including hardware, firmware, embedded software, large-scale distributed software systems, and Amazon services. You will establish the strategic vision, and drive tactical execution in defining and delivering your new products and services. Success in this role will be based on customer satisfaction, and the operational excellence that enables AWS to continue to expand its products and services for our customers.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for customization that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it: This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you'll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You will work with teams across the company to enable the rapid development of next-generation devices. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our developers. You will lead part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. You will see direct product improvements based on the results of your work. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers.
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience with product definition, financial metrics and customer-facing experience
• Experience managing cross-functional organizations and external design partners
• 10+ years of experience across hardware, firmware, and embedded software development across full product life cycles
• 5+ years of experience building and managing high performance platform and/or infrastructure engineering teams
• Object oriented development skills (Python, C or C++)
• Relevant experience with component architecture including hardware, software, and firmware
• Experience managing internal and external teams in the development and manufacturing of high run rate electronics
• Knowledge and operational experience with server, storage, networking, and/or large-scale distributed systems
• Expertise in server motherboard design, PCB design including schematic capture, stackup and circuit board layout.
• Experience with the design and manufacturing of server, storage, and/or infrastructure products
• DFx (Design for cost, test, manufacturing) expertise
• Excellent written communication and verbal skills
• Hands-on experience with Agile development methodologies
• An understanding of AWS technologies (aws.amazon.com)
Back to top