Sr. Database Engineer - AWS, Amazon Redshift
- Palo Alto, CA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. Amazon Redshift is a rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. No other data warehouse makes it as easy to gain new insights. With Redshift customers can query petabytes of structured and semi-structured data across their data warehouse and data lake using standard SQL.
Amazon Redshift is the most popular and fastest cloud data warehouse. It is integrated with customers data lake, offers up to 3x faster performance than any other data warehouse, and costs up to 75% less than any other cloud data warehouse.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
• Work on a disruptive product that's still in its early stages
• Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
• Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for senior database engineers that are passionate about data warehousing, and love to work with customers to help them with database design, usage patterns and performance.
We expect candidates to be able to:
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of database systems internals including relational database design and distributed databases/MPP architectures
• Lead strategic data architecture & database design discussions with customers
• Drive and oversee workload analysis, performance benchmarking and troubleshooting efforts with customers in their environments
• Clearly communicate deep technical topics to customers
• Influence the engineering team roadmap towards building a product that is scalable, easy to use and build on, and addresses customer needs
• Conduct POC's with customers in competitive situations
• Leverage good coding/scripting skills to automate tasks and improve workload analysis mechanisms
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 5+ years professional experience in software development
• Possess excellent communication skills and experience working with external customers (both technical and non-technical audiences)
• Advanced SQL coding, tuning and query optimization
• Knowledge of database internals as it relates to query and system performance and tuning
• Understanding of overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance in a database environment
• Experience designing and leading database performance benchmarks.
• Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing
• Strong development background, strong coding skills
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top