How do we identify the products whose availability are most valued by our customers? How do we learn which products customers care the most about when it comes to our fastest delivery speeds? The Customer Instock Value (CIV) team in Amazon's Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) organization is dedicated to answering these questions using statistical methods. Our estimates influence a broad range of business decisions worldwide, such as which products to offer, how much inventory to carry, and where to store them in our network of fulfillment centers in order to optimize customer satisfaction. We develop cutting edge data pipelines, build statistical models, and deploy automated software solutions to implement the right solutions on behalf of our customers.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, and hardworking researcher to help us answer these questions. As a Sr. Data Scientist on the CIV team, you will collaborate directly with other scientists to develop the right model-based solutions, you will partner with software developers to build end-to-end pipelines and production code, and you will have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business. You will analyze large amounts of business data, automate and scale the analysis, and develop metrics that will enable us to continually delight our customers worldwide.
As a successful Sr. Data Scientist, you are an analytical problem solver who enjoys diving into the details, is excited about investigations and algorithms, can multi-task, and can credibly interface between technical teams and business stakeholders. Your analytical abilities, business understanding, and technical savvy will be used to identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing business problems and look around corners for future opportunities. Your expertise in synthesizing and communicating insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication will enable you to answer specific business questions and innovate for the future.
Major responsibilities include:
• Utilizing code (Python, R, etc.) for analyzing and building statistical models to solve specific business problems.
• Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new sources, testing enhancements, and fine-tuning parameters.
• Directly contribute to the design and development of automated selection systems
• Build customer-facing reporting tools to provide insights and metrics which track system performance
• Collaborate with researchers, software developers, and business leaders to define product requirements and provide analytical support
• Communicating verbally and in writing to business customers and leadership team with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and recommendations
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in a field such as Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Economics
• 5+ years' of experience with querying languages (e.g. SAS, SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python, R), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, Matlab, etc.)
• 2+ years of relevant working experience in an analytical role involving extraction, analysis, and communication
• Outstanding statistical analysis skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research, engineering teams and business audiences
• Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (millions to billions of rows)
• Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to s, engineering teams and business audiences
• Proven ability to convey rigorous technical concepts and considerations to non-experts
• Natural curiosity and desire to learn
• Depth and breadth in knowledge. Excellent statistical analysis skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools.
• Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our and our customer's organizations
• Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
• Experience in supply chain or operations optimization a plus.
• Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.