Sr. Data Engineer, Alexa Entertainment
Amazon's Alexa is a cloud-based voice service that powers Amazon's groundbreaking voice-powered devices Echo, Dot, Tap, and Echo Show. These devices are part of Amazon's vision to build a computer in the cloud that is completely controlled by your voice. Alexa Music is a key Alexa domain, focused on delivering magical experiences that drive engagement with Alexa.
Amazon is seeking an experienced Data Engineer who is looking to work in a new space, and help define how we use multi-modal data (voice, mobile, desktop) to understand customer behavior and satisfaction. In this role, you will develop and support the analytic technologies, and provide customer insights that help drive engagement with music on Alexa. This includes implementation and operation of a BI tools, defining metrics and KPIs, and automating reporting and data visualization.
The successful candidate will be an expert with SQL, ETL (and general data wrangling) and have exemplary communication skills. The candidate will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and able to think big while paying careful attention to detail.
You know and love working with business intelligence tools, can model multidimensional datasets, and can partner with customers to answer key business questions. You will also have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas:
- Design, implement, and support the end-to-end automation of data pipelines, from a raw log state to a readily-consumable dataset
- Drive feature instrumentation by coordinating with Alexa Music dev teams, and act as the subject matter expert for all product data.
- Manage AWS Resources, and drive ongoing query optimization
- Model data and metadata for ad hoc and pre-built reporting
- Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete reporting solutions
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
- Participate in strategic & tactical planning discussions, including annual budget processes
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of years of relevant work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tool(s) to extract data, formulate metrics and build reports
- Experience using SQL, ETL and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies – Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
- Experience architecting large scale BI solutions
- Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Graduate degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
- Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering, IT, product management, marketing, finance, and operations
- Knowledge of Advanced SQL and a programming language (Python, R, or others)
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau or similar tools
- Experience with statistical analysis using R/SAS/Matlab or similar tools
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top