Amazon's legal department is looking for a smart, experienced, creative and highly motivated litigator to manage Amazon's worldwide portfolio of commercial litigation disputes. Responsibilities include architecting and implementing Amazon's litigation strategy with respect to specific cases; selecting, managing, and improving the performance of outside counsel; advising Amazon leadership on a wide range of novel legal and business risks and opportunities; working with Amazon witnesses and data repositories to prepare for trial; coordinating with Amazon public policy and public relations teams on matters relating to litigation; designing and implementing innovative processes that enable small teams to make high velocity decisions at scale; and providing daily cross-functional leadership to disparate Amazon stakeholders about a range of legal problems involving such areas as product liability and business tort, contract, copyright, consumer protection, real estate, transportation, advertising, privacy, security, class action, and First Amendment law.
• Strong academic credentials, a J.D. degree, and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
• At least 10 years of litigation experience
• At least five years of law firm experience
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Sound and practical business judgment combined with strong common sense
• Curiosity and creativity
• Highest standards of ethics and professional integrity
• Hands-on experience leading teams in complex domestic and international business litigation, including trial experience and counseling parties and witnesses in a variety of pre-dispute and dispute resolution contexts;
• Ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous contexts;
• Familiarity with Internet, software, and/or media industries and the legal and regulatory environment in which they operate;
• Familiarity with patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret law;
• Ability to lead teams, including cross-functional teams, while being a strong partner to other lawyers, business clients, paralegals, and assistants;
• Demonstrated proficiency in working closely with and advising senior executives of an organization; and
• People management experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.