Sr. Cloud Support Eng. (Sec), AWS Premium Support
- Cape Town, South Africa
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team, you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the 'Cloud Ambassador' across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
How often have you had an opportunity to be a founding member of a team solving significant customer problems through innovative technology? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge and business acumen? Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
If you fit the description, you might be the person we are looking for! We are a group of smart people, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
• Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
• Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers' individual needs.
• Interact with leading engineers around the world.
• Work directly with Amazon Web Services architects to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
• Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
• Drive customer communication during critical events.
• Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers' technical support experience.
• Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
• Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
• On a typical day, a Senior Support Engineer might work with teams to provide strategic technical support and opportunities to our customers, consult with a diverse range of engineers at Amazon and invent/develop radical new approaches to automate operational issues, act as a subject matter expert to drive large scale architecture and/or engineering efforts that solve significantly complex or endemic problems, identify gaps/opportunities within or between regions, architecture and organizations to satisfy customer needs.
• Our Engineers are also the "voice of the customer" and have a strong voice into the development teams for recurring issues or feature requests.
• Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
• Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
• Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven't been exposed to yet.
• Travel the world: Strong support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
• Find out more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2nv6lBK2o
• As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, there is no after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
The security role supports our services that focus on sSecurity technologies, including Identity Access Management (IAM), Cloudwatch, KMS, Cloud Trail, CloudHSM, Inspector etc. A solid security provides the foundation for all Cloud services. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about working with network security products.
• Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR equivalent experience in a technical position
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• 7+ years of experience with System Administration with Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat) and/or Microsoft Windows Server and associated technologies (Active Directory, Exchange).
• 7+ years of experience with Networking and troubleshooting (TCP/IP, DNS, routing, switching, firewalls, LAN/WAN, traceroute, iperf, dig, cURL or related).
• In-depth understanding of virtualization and cloud computing (Hypervisors, VMware, Xen).
• Advanced written & verbal communication skills.
• Interest in information security and a desire to learn techniques and technologies such as application security, cryptography, threat modeling, penetration testing, etc.
• Experience with threat modeling, especially for web application and web APIs.
• Web security and compliance experience (e.g. Firewalls, IDS/IPS systems, DDOS prevention and PCI, HIPAA, FIPS, etc.)
• Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
• Knowledge of AWS and Computing concepts (preferred experience with AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS CloudFormation or AWS OpsWorks)
• Good understanding of security best practices.
• Good understanding of distributed computing environments and methodologies.
• Experience with Cloud Services and Cloud deployments.
• AWS related certifications
• Any other industry Cloud or Engineering certifications are also advantageous.
• Add any additional preferred domain specific qualifications
• Experience working with Hardware Security Models.
• Identity and Access concepts and technologies to secure production and corporate access, such as: SSO, SAML
• Federated Identity, RBAC, authentication & authorization solution, etc.
• Understanding of secure-cloud configuration, (CloudTrail, AWS Config, etc), cloud-security technologies (VPC, Security Groups, etc.) and cloud-permission systems (IAM).
• Configuration management (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible, CloudFormation, etc.)
• Experience with broad array of security technologies, such as NGFW, WAF, SIEM, endpoint security and more.
• Experience working with Hardware Security Models
• Luna SA certified Engineer
• One or more security-related certifications, such as CISSP, CEH, CISA, CISM, SECURITY+, OSCP, etc.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity and Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Back to top