Sr. Category Merchant Manager, Toys
The US Toys team is seeking a Senior Category Merchant Manager to lead the Toys marketplace business. This role offers the unique opportunity to own a sizable portion of a category P&L while also driving large scale, high visibility projects across different Amazon teams. The successful candidate will be a strong business owner with experience with P&L management, making data driven decisions, building and executing growth strategies, and business/relationship management. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and possess a passion for retail, a high level of flexibility, ability to prioritize and a sense of humor.
The breadth and depth of experience gained in this role will equip a candidate to rotate into any core retail role or move into Product Management across Amazon. The Category Merchant Manager will have several key responsibilities within the 3rd party Marketplace side of the business, including:
- Category strategy and ownership: Work closely with Category Leadership on planning and business strategy, drive best-in-class customer experience and maximize unit and GMS growth through timely analysis and action.
- Seller management: Identify and lead new Seller partnerships, manage large Sellers and enhance overall Seller experience with better self-service and reporting resources.
- Category project management: Work within the category to establish and execute a site experience road-map.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a passion for independent, creative problem-solving, have proven data analysis skills, show strong ownership/commitment, have proven leadership experience in managing projects, and bring relevant insights in technology.
The successful Senior Category Merchant Manager must:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Toy business, its seasonality and global business trends/events, and continually monitor competitor/industry developments.
- Focus on the customer, both existing and potential, and use that knowledge to help deliver site improvements and features that provide Amazon customers with an unparalleled shopping experience.
- Build partnerships both across the worldwide organization and within the Seller community.
- Create and communicate business plans for new opportunities.
- Conduct financial analysis on new opportunities to set and meet GMS and profit targets.
- Be comfortable getting hands dirty to deliver a set of business and customer experience improvement results.
- Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
- 5-7+ years in product and partnership management along with related business experience that demonstrates analytics, strategy development and project leadership skills
- BA/BS required, MBA a plus.
- Experience with Excel and Access, or similar database.
- Experience in consulting and/or retail/consumer products industries.
- Proven analytical skills and highly comfortable with numbers.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate sophisticated projects with various technical/engineering teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects - work prioritization, planning and task delegation.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results.
- Broad commercial awareness developed in a fast-moving environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including strong writing and speaking skills.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top