Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon, and when that box-with-the-smile arrives, you wonder how it got to you so fast? Wondered where it came from and how much it would have cost Amazon? If so, Amazon's Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) team is for you. We build systems to peer into the future and estimate the distribution of tens of millions of products every week to Amazon's warehouses in the most cost-effective way. This team focuses on saving hundreds of millions of dollars using cutting edge science, machine learning, and scalable distributed software on the Cloud that automates and optimizes inventory and shipments to customers under the uncertainty of demand, pricing, and supply. Watch this short video for more on SCOT: http://bit.ly/amazon-scot
Within SCOT, Amazon's Fulfillment Network Optimization and Management (FNOM) team focuses on generating free cash flow and fast customer deliveries by designing Amazon's near-term transportation network. Amazon's transportation network involves thousands of trucks and dozens of planes every day to move items that customers have ordered from our Fulfillment Centers to our Sort Centers and Delivery Stations. A quality network design saves Amazon tens of millions of dollars a year, improves the promised delivery time we can offer our customers, and reduces the possibility of missing a promised delivery date.
FNOM is building the software that automates the design of the outbound transportation network. Automation not only saves time but also serves as a foundational requirement for global network optimization across tens of thousands of configurations with trillions of potential combinations.
What you will do...
We're looking for a talented and motivated Business Intelligence Engineer who enjoys the challenge of diving into complex business problems, providing data-driven insights, and making recommendations that directly impact the business. You will use broad technical skills to build analytic and reporting capabilities that enable our fulfillment network optimization. The ideal candidate is a highly analytical, critical thinker with advanced problem solving, data mining, and data engineering or software development skills. They will enjoy working with world-class economists, research scientists, product managers, data engineers, and software developers to drive decisions across Amazon's retail and operations teams. Successful team members are customer obsessed, flexible, and collaborative team players who enjoy working across functions and organizations to solve problems and get results. They thrive in ambiguity, ask hard questions, and build scalable solutions that provide critical business insights necessary to influence decision making across organizations. They find timely answers buried in large data sets and complex systems, identify root causes, and are obsessed with generating business insights. The scale is massive, as is the opportunity.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
• Defining, developing, and maintaining critical business and operational reports reviewed on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
• Analysis of historical data to identify trends and support decision making, including written and verbal presentation of results and recommendations
• Collaborating with software development teams to implement analytics systems and data structures to support large-scale data analysis and delivery of machine learning and econometric models
• Mining and manipulating data from database tables, simulation results, and log files
• Identifying data needs and driving data quality improvement projects
• Understanding the broad range of Amazon's data resources, which to use, how, and when
• Thought leadership on data mining and analysis
• Modeling complex/abstract problems and discovering insights using statistics, data mining, and visualization techniques
• Helping to automate processes by developing deep-dive tools, UIs, metrics, and dashboards to communicate insights to the business teams
• Collaborating effectively with internal end-users, cross-functional software development teams, and technical support/sustaining engineering teams to solve problems and implement new solutions
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field
• 6+ years of work experience in data mining and analysis
• Proven analytical and quantitative skills
• SQL expert with prior success working with extremely large data sets
• Working familiarity with industry standard data analysis and presentation tools
• Prior experience in design and execution of analytics projects
• Demonstrated ability to directly partner with business owners to understand requirements
• Demonstrated ability to work with technical teams to deliver accurate and scalable reporting and analytics solutions
• Effective spoken and written communication to senior audiences, including strong data presentation and visualization skills
• Detail-oriented with an aptitude for solving unstructured problems
• Experience with web development/automation, scripting languages, and functional programming (such as Bash, Ruby, or Python)
• Experience in statistical software such as R, S-plus, SAS, STATA.
• Experience applying machine learning, statistical modeling or related analytic techniques
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems.
• Experience with Supply Chain and Operations
• " Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers"
1. "Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief."