Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer AWS Cloud Compute
- Seattle, WA
AWS Products teams is looking for a customer-obsessed Business Intelligence Engineer to join the team. AWS has a culture of data-driven decision making, and requires business intelligence that is timely, accurate and actionable. This role will partner closely with the business teams to understand the data-needs of the team and ensure that the business teams are able to answer hard questions with real data. This individual will participate in business reviews and new-initiatives. They should be able to identify and help close gaps in the information available, as well as predict up-and-coming data-needs when participating in discussions about new products or features.
You should be highly collaborative and organized. You should be capable of prioritizing multiple deliverables and effectively communicate progress and blockers. You should feel comfortable working across multiple data-sources, and be capable of participating in and understanding how multiple systems communicate information to one-another.
• Owning the design, development, and maintenance of scalable solutions for ongoing metrics, reports, analysis, dashboards, etc. to support analytical and business needs.
• Translate basic business problem statements into analysis requirements.
• Use analytical and statistical rigor to answer business questions and drive business decisions.
• Find and create ways to measure the customer experience to drive business outcomes.
• Develop queries and visualizations for ad-hoc requests and projects, as well as ongoing reporting.
• Write queries and output efficiently, and have in-depth knowledge of the data available in area of expertise. Pull the data needed with standard query syntax; periodically identify more advanced methods of query optimization. Convert data to make it analysis-ready.
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
• Troubleshoot operational data-quality issues.
• Review and audit existing ETL jobs and queries.
• Recommending improvements to back-end data sources for increased accuracy and simplicity.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and solid years of relevant experience.
• A strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language.
• 8+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding.
• 5+ years of demonstrated quantitative and qualitative data science/business intelligence experience with significant business impact
• 4+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
• 4+ years of working with very large data warehousing environment
• Experience in designing and delivering cross functional custom reporting solutions.
• Prefer 10-15 years experience
• Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift (preferred), Teradata
• Experience with R, Python, Weka, SAS, Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software.
• Experience with an enterprise class BI tool like MicroStrategy, Business Objects
• Experience with reporting tools - Tableau, Quicksight
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workloads. A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
• Excellent analytical skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top