Sr Business Intelligence Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Imaging is a large and fast-growing network of teams located around the worlds, focusing on fashion and product photography, robotics, image virtualization, machine learning for quality processing, photo retouching, and image support services. We are continually innovating and setting new industry standards for showcasing 10s of millions of products across multiple global marketplaces. We are obsessed with innovating on behalf of our customers, and continually push beyond the boundaries of traditional e-commerce photography and videography.
As a Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer, you will be working with other BIEs, data engineers, development and finance teams to drive the next generation of analytical and business intelligence capabilities. You'll coordinate with our partner teams to define and build the data architecture, data mart and reporting layers to facilitate standardized reporting and deep business insight. Your expertise will enable us to standardize on taxonomy and simplify data availability for all users.
You are comfortable with big data structures, intimately familiar with SQL, database schema and business processes. The candidate will have a strong bias towards data-driven decision-making and will be comfortable with ambiguity while working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
• Influence the organization to adopt next-generation data architecture strategies, proposing extensible data flows and storage solutions to provide the business with standard dimensions and measures.
• Partner with program managers, analysts, data engineers and software development engineers across Product Imaging org to identify critical datasets which will provide structured and timely access to actionable business information.
• Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: including data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
• Drives best practices in operational excellence, data modelling, and analysis. Assures BI solutions are correctly and efficiently supporting the business.
• Support business with time-critical tactical data analyses.
• Has quantitative or engineering background (e.g. Bachelor's degree in CS, Economics, Biochemistry, Mathematics; or 3 years relevant experience).
• 5+ years of experience in relevant business domains, including data warehousing (understanding of relational databases, data modeling, data structures and architecture), ETL development and business intelligence tools, techniques and technology, or experience in analytics, business analysis or comparable consumer analytics solutions; development of complex reports
• Advanced SQL knowledge (using iterative functions, methods of tuning SQL code, etc.) and database in a business environment with large scale complex data sets.
• Advanced knowledge in a variety of industry analytics and metrics visualization tools (e.g., Excel, Tableau/QuickSight/MicroStrategy/PowerBI).
• Able to take the lead on the technical solution to a complex business problem. They can design the right analytics strategy, define the necessary data set, implement, and deliver. Examples can be a refactor or a new analytics process (e.g., data model, data architecture, data flow design, analysis and self-service tool, as applicable).
• Is able to evaluate end-to-end data designs for strengths and weaknesses (e.g. data quality, scalability, latency, security, performance, data integrity).
• Able to implement and support a basic cloud-based database solution (e.g. Redshift, S3)
• Has knowledge of statistical or graphical methods to calibrate and assess KPIs. Able to set alarms on metrics based on historical variance and calculate confidence intervals and statistical tests.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities; ability to work be self-supporting and navigate through ambiguous requirements
• Strong verbal and written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with creative, business and technical teams
• Inquisitive mindset, with proven problem solving ability, and a passion for big data.
Back to top