Sr Business Intelligence Engineer
- London, United Kingdom
At Amazon Alexa Shopping, we strive to enable shopping in everyday life. We allow customers to instantly order whatever they need, by simply interacting with their Smart Devices such as Echo or Fire TV. Our Services allow you to shop, no matter where you are or what you are doing, you can go from 'I want that' to 'that's on the way' in a matter of seconds. We are seeking the industry's best to help us create new ways to interact, search and shop. Join us, and you'll be taking part in changing the future of everyday life.
We are hiring a Sr Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE) to help us accelerate our efforts in delivering delightful voice shopping capabilities. This person will build new business intelligence solutions end-to-end. The ideal candidate will be passionate about working with big data sets and have the expertise to utilize these datasets to answer business questions and drive growth.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Design, develop and maintain scalable, automated, user-friendly systems, reports, dashboards, etc. that will support our analytical and business needs
- Use analytical and statistical rigor to solve complex problems and drive business decisions.
- Write high quality SQL code to retrieve and analyze data from database tables (ex. Redshift, MySQL, Oracle), and learn and understand a broad range of Amazon's data resources and know how, when, and which to use and which not to use
- Develop queries and visualizations for ad-hoc requests and projects, as well as ongoing reporting
In addition to leading the design, development, and management of our analytical tools and reporting, we will also look to this person to provide thought leadership and business analysis support as needed. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong business acumen, experience in developing reporting and analytical infrastructures, strong communication skills, an ability to work effectively with cross functional teams, and an ability to work in a fast paced and ever-changing environment.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field
- Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing.
- Extensive years of relevant work experience in a role requiring application of analytic skills to integrate data into operational/business planning or advanced degree
- Advanced skills in Excel as well as any data visualization tools like Tableau or similar BI tools (familiarity with Tableau preferred).
- Advanced ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them to the stakeholders and senior management as required.
- Be self-driven, and show ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete or dirty data.
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
- Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark, EMR, etc.)
- An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment
- MBA or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or related field
- Expert in writing and tuning SQL scripts
- Experience working in very large data warehouse environments
- Extensive experience in a data engineer or BIE role with a technology company
- Experience conducting large scale data analysis to support business decision making
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc)
- Strong verbal/written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
Back to top