Sr. Big Data Architect
- Seattle, WA
This is an exciting opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team in Palo Alta CA! Come work with some of the best and brightest engineers, technical managers and product managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative technology companies anywhere.
Amazon OpenSearch Service is looking for systems engineers that specialize in distributed systems and databases to support one of the fastest growing services in AWS. Amazon OpenSearch Service makes it easy to deploy, operate, and scale OpenSearch for log analytics, application monitoring, full-text search, and more. Amazon OpenSearch Service is a fully managed service that delivers Elasticsearch's easy-to-use APIs and real-time capabilities along with offering predictable performance and seamless scalability for production workloads.
We're looking for a systems engineers to join our team in our Palo Alto, CA location. In this role, you will support AWS OpenSearch engineering, product and operations. This will include working directly with some of our largest and most important customers to identify and resolve issues, automating repetitive processes, and working closely with development and business teams. You will dive deep into code and logs, drive prioritization of operational issues, and become intimate with the architecture of our systems, while also deeply understanding customer use-cases and configurations.
The perfect candidate will have excellent customer obsession, deep experience working with Linux, preferably in large scale, distributed environments; and be very comfortable with networking and distributed architecture topics. You will have enthusiasm for digging deep and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization and organization.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Bachelor's Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or relevant work experience
• 7+ years' Linux systems engineering experience
• 5+ years' experience building scripts, tooling, and automation for large-scale computing environments.
• Experience troubleshooting applications and system performance and complex, production software issues
• Ability to automate tasks, write scripts to improve automation using at least two of the following languages - Python, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby, Bash/Shell
• Ability to benchmark products and contrast the various behaviors
• Possess excellent communication skills and experience working with external customers (both technical and non-technical audiences).
• Excellent problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail
• Ability to dive deep into complex technical problems
• Experience on Cloud Computing
• Experience managing large server fleets
• Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, understanding and providing recommendations to customers on their query patterns
• Good understanding of parallel system performance, efficiency and scalability measurement and analysis
• Act as a technical liaison between customers, service engineering teams and support
• Experience in characterizing, debugging and correcting performance issues in large scale distributed systems.
• Understanding of distributed systems in practice and their limitations
• Experience building and administering production databases
• Development background is highly desirable (strong coding skills will allow for automation/demos/tools development.
Back to top