Sr. Applied Scientist - Computer Vision/ML/Robotics
- Salt Lake City, UT
Do you wish to create the greatest possible worldwide impact in Robotics? Amazon has the world's most exciting treasure trove of robotics challenges. The Robotics AI team at Amazon is building high-performance, real-time robotic systems that can perceive, learn, and act intelligently alongside humans at Amazon scale. Robotics AI at Amazon invents and scales AI systems for robotics in fulfillment. Our mission is to enable robots to interact safely, efficiently, and fluently with the clutter and uncertainty of real-world fulfillment centers at Amazon scale.
We develop AI solutions that enable robots to learn from their own experiences, from each other, and from people-to build AI that feeds itself. We hire and develop subject-matter experts in AI who focus on computer vision, machine learning, deep learning, control, navigation, and planning. We target high-impact algorithmic unlocks in areas such as scene and activity understanding, simultaneous localization and mapping, closed-loop control, human preference and active learning-all of which are of high-value to our current and future fulfillment networks.
If you are a seasoned, hands-on Senior Applied Scientist with a track record of delivering to timelines with high quality, deeply technical and innovative, we want to talk to you. You will bring computer vision and machine learning advancements to real-time analytics for customer-facing solutions in complex industrial settings. You will explore, innovate, and deliver advanced vision technologies that involve petabytes of video data and hundreds of thousands of cameras-that's correct, hundreds of thousands of cameras. You will be working on a fast-paced cross-disciplinary team of engineers with solid industry experience. You are a domain expert in one or more of the following areas: computer vision (instance segmentation, pose estimation, scene and activity understanding), multiple-view geometry, deep learning, active learning, reinforcement learning, perception, real-time and large-scale distributed systems.
As a Senior Applied Scientist, you will also help guide and mentor our team of applied scientists and engineers. You will take on challenging customer problems, distill customer requirements, and then deliver solutions that either leverage existing academic and industrial research or utilize your own out-of-the-box but pragmatic thinking. In addition to coming up with novel solutions and prototypes, you will directly contribute to implementation while you lead. A successful candidate has excellent technical depth, scientific vision, project management skills, great communication skills, and a drive to achieve results in a collaborative team environment.
You should enjoy the process of solving real-world problems that, quite frankly, haven't been solved at scale anywhere before. Along the way, we guarantee you'll get opportunities to be a fearless disruptor, prolific innovator, and a reputed problem solver-someone who truly enables machine vision and learning to significantly impact the lives of millions of consumers.
• PhD in Engineering, Technology, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Robotics, Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics or a related quantitative field.
• 5+ years of industry or academic applied research experience in one or more areas in Robotics, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Machine Learning, Perception, Autonomous navigation, or related fields.
• 1+ years experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language and/or Machine Learning
• 3+ years of experience building machine learning models or developing algorithms for business application.
• PhD and 7+ years of industry or academic applied research experience in one or more areas in Robotics, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Machine Learning, Perception, Autonomous navigation, or related fields.
• 2+ years experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language and/or Machine Learning
• Hands-on architectural or system design experience.
• Familiarity with hardware-software integration and track record of delivering complex algorithms on embedded devices.
• Demonstrable experience in building, programming and integrating software and hardware for robotic systems.
• Proven experience producing computationally efficient software to meet real-time requirements.
• Experience in robotics or autonomous vehicles and strong industry background.
• Understanding of machine learning techniques and how they can be applied to scientific research.
• Passion for hiring and developing science talent.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top