Sofware Development Manager, Alexa Smart Home
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart home.
We're seeking a Software Development Manager for the Alexa Smart Device Services team to lead the development of highly-visible core infrastructure.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
- The changes we make directly impact the customer experience usage of smart devices.
- This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa – with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
- You will drive project execution, recruit, hire, and develop the industry's top engineering talent.
- This is a great position for someone who likes backend development, Amazon Web Services, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
- We're looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable and robust systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
The Software Development Manager will:
- Own development of their product end-to-end
- Provide technical direction within your team
- Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
- Continue to innovate on the framework to support controlling smart devices worldwide
- Manage a development team focused on creating the complex back-end infrastructure
- Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.
The ideal candidate has a track record of launching projects with Java/C#, C++, Perl, and distributed computing technologies on a Linux platform.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a team
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
- Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
- Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top