Software Support Engineer
- Toronto, Canada
Do you like working with very smart technical and business people who are at the forefront of defining and inventing digital media delivery and presentation? Do you like working on multiple product lines and at the same time analyzing and identifying the common threads and issues that can be leveraged to solve multiple problems? If so, this could be a job for you. The Device Software Services and Operation group builds and manages unique and exciting digital products for Amazon Devices - Amazon Kindle, Digital Video, Audio, Music and Digital Text products. We build an eclectic set of rich media ingestion technologies, platforms and processes, taking what's possible with digital media to the next level.
• Software Support Engineering is a shared services organization responsible for providing multi-faceted application engineering services to multiple Digital product development teams.
• Developing Tools, applications, code improvements and scripts to resolve operational burden of support engineers and Device Operations
• Defining and validating the supportability aspects and metrics for emerging and existing Amazon Device product lines like FireTV, Tablets, Streaming Devices, eInk, Alexa enabled devices, etc.
• Support engineering and troubleshooting on issues related to the devices, platform services and content for various products
• Interface with content acquisition, content providers, operations and technical teams to ensure content publishing and delivery as per service level agreements
• Production Builds, Tools, and Configuration Management for software product releases and successful deployments.
This job requires you to constantly hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. Some of the key job functions of the support engineer are :
• Provide first level of support for tickets filed for Fire TV, Kindle Tablets, Computer Vision product line, and platform services behind these devices.
• Provide engineering support of our incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting and debugging, with responsibilities covering multiple product lines.
• Work on maintenance driven coding projects, primarily in Perl/Python or shell scripts, web technologies, and Java/nodeJS based projects.
• Read and understand complex application code and make code fixes to resolve support issues
• Software deployment support in staging and production environments.
• Develop tools to aid operations and maintenance.
• System and Support status reporting.
• Operational ownership of one or more Digital/Device products or components, and driving Operational Excellence.
• Customer notification and workflow co-ordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements.
• Work with Global engineering teams for handing-off or taking over active support issues and to create a team specific knowledge base and continuously improve skill set.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• 2+ years overall development/technical support experience.
• 2+ years of experience to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues in complex Enterprise Level applications.
• 1+ years of experience working on networking, hardware performance and audio/video technologies within Consumer Electronics.
• Development Experience in Python/Ruby/NodeJS/C/Java or open source based technologies.
• Experience in Perl or shell scripts, XML/SOAP, web services, web application development.
• Experience in UNIX/Linux operating system and tools
• Experience working on enterprise level large scale n-tier applications
• Demonstrated skill and passion for problem solving and operational excellence.
• BIG PICTURE: solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
• PROACTIVE: You display energy and initiative in solving problems. You follow all possible avenues to get the job done.
• ADAPTABLE: You undertake a variety of tasks willingly. You switch from complex to routine tasks when required. You adapt quickly to new technologies and products. You work effectively with a variety of personalities and work styles.
• HANDLING STRESS: Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, communicates effectively with a wide array of individuals at Amazon, and gets the right things done.
• QUALITY: You demonstrate appropriate quality and thoroughness.
• INTEGRITY: You act with personal integrity at all times.
• PROFESSIONAL: You work within your team's process. You confront problems (even when outside your own domain), propose solutions, take ownership through to resolution or ensure a clear hand-off. You have a positive, can-do approach to work.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top