Software Engineer - Internet Monitoring
Amazon's network is a key differentiator for Amazon Cloud Computing and Web Services (AWS), enabling the global operation of thousands of applications across millions of servers worldwide. The network is fundamental to the success of Amazon.com and hundreds of thousands of AWS Customers. And, right alongside there is THE most pervasive, important, and complex communications network in the world -- the Internet.
The Internet is the world's most complex network, with over 57,402 unique networks connected together, it contains hundreds of millions of edges and nodes - somewhere out there things are about to go south.
One of the core backbone routers of a major Tier-1 Internet provider is having a bad day. It started with a transient, yet persistent, problem which was only detectable by a slight increase in dropped packets that went mostly unnoticed. An hour later the router suffered a catastrophic failure dumping 500Gbps of traffic onto an already congested alternate path causing ripples across the Internet, disrupting websites and other Internet based services on the U.S Eastern seaboard.
Social media is ablaze as frustrated people rant about their favorite website, video, or gaming service being down, or so slow that it's unusable. While the Internet burns, our customers are humming away oblivious to the disaster.
If you have an insatiable curiosity, love the process of discovery, and you're reading this with a grin… we should talk.
Come join us and …
- Do what nobody else in the world is doing… literally
- Gain world class knowledge and expertise on the inner workings of the Internet, working with top-tier Network and Software Engineers
- Define and Develop Amazon's Internet Monitoring architecture
- Play in the piles of data to discover patterns that push our understanding and knowledge of Internet performance and availability anomalies
- Build massive real-time systems which inform and drive complex changes across the Internet
- Gain practical experience building incredible distributed systems software using Amazon Web Services
The ideal candidate will be clearly passionate about the large opportunity for software innovation that Amazon's Network presents and about web services in general. If you have an insatiable curiosity, love the process of discovery, and you're reading this with a grin… we should talk.
- 5+ years of industry experience designing, and building large complex real-time distributed back-end systems
- Track record of continually raising team productivity and effectiveness by defining and driving software engineering best practices
- Works with peer SDEs across organizations leading efforts to raise the IQ of our collective software architectures and ecosystem
- Superior command of Computer Science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis, object-oriented design, unit testing, and systems architecture
- Significant experience with at least one of Java, C, C++, Perl, Python, or Go, and effective use of software testing techniques
- Knowledge and experience with Unix/Linux systems, specifically low-level libraries, Linux networking, and client-server protocols
- Works independently with customers, stakeholders and peers, and effectively balances their needs and requirements
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other technical discipline
- Experience with network performance measurement and analysis techniques
- Familiarity or understanding of WAN and how the Internet works -- networking protocols and concepts such as routing, TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF/ISIS, NetFlow, SNMP, and Internet Traffic Engineering techniques
- Experience with data analytics concepts, techniques and approaches (statistical inference, regression models etc)
- Understanding of Big Data systems and techniques
- Knowledge of statistics, data analysis, and machine learning; specifically, anomaly and trend detection
- Knowledge of modern development platforms such as Go, Rust, containerized deployment (such as Docker, rkt, Kubernetes) a plus
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top