Software Engineer II
Amazon's Global Retail Catalog Systems (GRCS) team is looking for a senior software developer to join our team in Seattle. The Global Retail Catalog Systems Team is responsible for the design and support of systems and services that allow the retail business to manage the worldwide retail catalog. Our prime objective is to ensure timely updates of product information with high quality, low latency and high efficiency for the business user. Our secondary objective is to improve the robustness of our systems and to stream data to retail websites by producing innovative ways of increasing data flow and improving exception handling and recovery. The successful candidate will be responsible for design and implementation for roadmap projects that support corporate data management and quality improvement initiatives, as well as taking on one business-centric small project each year. Daily work will involve liaising with Amazon business owners and other retail senior developers and principals.
The candidate will be expected to analyze and profile existing systems and processes to identify where improvements to user efficiency, robustness and stability can be made or where manual solutions can be replaced by software solutions. This will be achieved by designing, implementing, testing, and deploying enhancements to our current architecture. The candidate must provide outstanding problem-solving abilities and demonstrate a clear commitment to making Amazon a great place to work.
The candidate must have exceptional design skills, have strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to lead and improve our development processes from day-1. The candidate must show success in designing and implementing scalable distributed systems, improving overall performance and general problem solving. The candidate must have the ability to provide elegant solutions to complex problems, balancing features and performance. Candidates must also have an operational focus, evaluating system performance, designing and evaluating system metrics and driving quality improvement.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms
- Computer Science fundamentals in problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, or C#/C++
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix and scripting on Perl/Ruby.
- Knowledge of database systems and SQL.
- Ability to drive consensus on technical design within the team and across teams.
- Experience in system architecture and web application design.
- Experience in launching applications globally.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience with agile program management methodologies.
- Ability to build solutions that scale and perform.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top