Software Development Manager - Storage Infrastructure Team
- Cupertino, CA
The AWS Hardware Engineering team is driving rapid innovation in the server and storage infrastructure used by Amazon Web Services. Our designs are fundamentally changing the data center, providing operational and financial benefits that are critical to the success of the AWS business and its millions of customers. Our Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and take big bets on new concepts, enabling AWS services to continue to revolutionize the industry.
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to build a team to lead the operation and integration of next generation storage HDD/SSD for AWS world scale compute and storage solutions. The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative, hands-on leader seasoned in building and leading software and hardware teams developing infrastructure operations and delivering storage products.
As a manager in this team, you will be leading a team of highly motivated software developers that thrives on solving challenging problems with innovative solutions. The team couples software and hardware skillsets with expert knowledge in HDD/SSD and scalable software engineering disciplines to solve real world data center infrastructure problems. You will lead a team building, validating, and operating software solutions in diverse technology domains from embedded software platforms to large-scale distributed software systems in Python, C, and other languages using proprietary and open source technologies and Amazon services alike. You are highly organized, data-driven, have a passion for recruiting, leading and developing engineering talent, and executing projects on aggressive timelines.
You will collaborate with internal development teams and external OEM HDD/SSD drive suppliers to deliver world-class storage products with industry leading performance and quality. You will establish strategic vision and drive execution in defining and delivering new products and services. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology come help us make history!
What you will do: You will build and lead a team designing and building infrastructure to operate our storage platforms at massive scale. You will lead the integration and delivery of HDD/SSD from OEM suppliers, and the development of automated monitoring and failure analysis services to operate, debug, and scale these devices. You will work closely with other AWS software teams to tailor and operate storage solutions for the AWS environment.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The breathtaking scale of AWS, combined with a deep understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customizations that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it: You will lead a team of engineers working with teams across the company to build next-generation cutting edge infrastructure. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver features and functionality to our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team and have ownership for the implementation of your work.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or related field.
• 10+ years of experience in software development of storage and/or infrastructure solutions across full product life cycles
• 5+ years of experience building and managing high performance platform and/or infrastructure software engineering teams
• Master's degree or higher in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
• Object oriented development skills (Python, Java, C or C++)
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Demonstrated experience leading teams in the qualification, debug, failure analysis, and product delivery of HDD/SSD based storage systems.
• Hands-on hardware design, debug, operational and customer support experience with HDD/SSD based storage systems.
• Expertise with one or more of the following protocol stacks including block storage (NVMe, SAS/SATA), networking (Ethernet, TCP/IP) and interfaces (PCIe, I2C, ONFI, DDR).
• Experience working with OEM HDD/SSD vendors and ODM partners.
• Operational experience with storage, networking, and/or large-scale distributed systems.
• Understanding and hands-on experience with Linux kernel and user space software development.
• Hands-on experience with Agile and Scrum software development methodologies
• An understanding of AWS technologies (aws.amazon.com).
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top