Software Development Manager - Smart Home
- Perth, Australia
The Smart Home team is focused on making Alexa the user interface for the smart home. From the simplest voice commands (turn on the lights, turn down the thermostat) to use cases spanning home security, home entertainment, and the home environment, we are evolving Alexa to work more naturally, with less manual set up and configuration.
As Software Development Manager on the Alexa Smart Home team you will lead the development of highly-visible products and services for the smart home and IoT. Your work will span voice user interfaces, cloud services, and a rapidly-growing ecosystem of IoT devices. You will help lay the foundation to move from directed device interactions to learned behaviors that span multiple devices throughout the home. And, you will have the satisfaction of working on a product your friends and family can relate to, and want to use every day. Like the world of smart phones less than 10 years ago, this is a rare opportunity to have a giant impact on the way people live.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
• We build customer-facing features as well as backend services that directly impact the daily customer experience for smart devices.
• This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa - with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
• You will drive project execution, recruit, hire, and develop the industry's top engineering talent.
• We're looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable and robust systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
The Software Development Manager will:
• Own development of their product end-to-end
• Provide technical direction within their team
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
• Continue to innovate on the platform to support intelligent smart device experiences worldwide
• Manage a development team focused on creating the complex back-end infrastructure
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and maintainability
• 5+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
• 2+ years of engineering management experience
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a team
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Experience building, deploying, and maintaining IoT platforms
• Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top