Software Development Manager (SDM)
- Lubbock, TX
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on Earth. Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates the software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers, which move billions of units of inventory and ensures customers get what they want when promised. Within AFT, we are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages using state of the art software and hardware technologies, while keeping our associates and partners safe. We leverage the latest AWS technologies, big data approaches, and ML to build distributed, highly available systems. We get to work across a diverse set of organizations and stakeholders to achieve our goals.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive software leader to lead teams of developers working on initiatives to constantly expand our product selection, and deliver products to our customers in the fastest, yet safest, ways possible. The candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, has a strong understanding of core software development and algorithmic concepts, and is passionate about technology and wants to solve high-impact business problems. As the software development manager, you will be responsible for driving the technical direction for a multiple large software systems. You will also be responsible for working closely with other managers of software development teams within Amazon to lead changes through their systems.
The role requires you to be able to manage the overall software development lifecycle, which includes the following responsibilities:
• Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
• Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
• Partner with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
• Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
• Own all operational metrics and support
• Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
• Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
• Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience with proven record of delivery
• 3+ years of experience with managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Agile/Scrum processes & knowledge of full software development life cycle best practices
• Deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Passion for people management and mentoring
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Hands-on technical expertise in building web services and highly scalable applications
• Solid software development background with strong fundamentals in algorithms and data structures and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Back to top