Software Development Manager - RDS on Outposts
- Seattle, WA
Come and join RDS on Outposts team that is building hybrid service to offer AWS-managed relational databases on AWS Outposts on premises. Our vision here is to offer capabilities of our battle-tested RDS service to any on-premises facility and build innovative capabilities that bridge the gap between on-premises facility and AWS cloud to provide a truly hybrid experience. We are the first service to foray in this domain and setting a path for other AWS services to follow.
To learn more about our services, refer to https://aws.amazon.com/rds/outposts/
In this role you will start out leading a brand new AWS team. This is an area that requires solving the hardest engineering challenges in distributed systems and networking at massive scale. As a tier zero Amazon service our solutions have to be super solid, scalable, efficient, and extremely fault tolerant.
In the larger scope of the role, you will be responsible for rethinking the assumptions behind how traditional database services were built and thinking how to build database services that operate seamlessly in customer's on-premises network and in the cloud. You will own the design, development, testing and deployment of these database services. You will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues. You will manage and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position.
As a manager of software development in AWS, you will part of the larger technical leadership community that forms the backbone of the company, plays a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives, influences our long-term technical and business strategy, helps us hire talented team of engineers and ultimately enables us to deliver innovative new solutions rapidly.
This position within Databases team presents a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, strong business acumen and judgment, an ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, ability to hire and lead a team, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters or PhD preferred.
• At least 6 years of experience managing software engineering teams
• Experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, C# or other object oriented programming languages
• Experience in using at least one relational database engine
• Understanding of distributed computing, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, and their best practices
• Experience in designing and building scalable and resilient distributed systems
• Hands on experience building web platforms and services
• Deep expertise in SQL/NoSQL databases
• Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
Back to top