Take Earth's most customer-centric company. Mix in hundreds of millions of shoppers spending tens of billions of dollars annually, an exciting opportunity to build next-generation shopping experiences, Amazon's tremendous computational resources, and our extensive e-Commerce experience. What do you get? The most exciting position in the industry.
About our team:
Personalization's Repeat Purchase Team builds and owns features that help customers reorder products on Amazon, across all device types and marketplaces. Our premier product is Buy Again, www.amazon.com/buyagain. We are a full-stack team, leveraging modern software development languages like TypeScript and Java, and working with partner teams in Personalization and across Amazon. We're seeking a skilled and creative software manager to help invent the future of reordering at Amazon.
About our organization:
Our team is part of Amazon's Personalization organization, a high-performing group that leverages Amazon's expertise in machine learning, big data, and distributed systems to deliver the best shopping experiences for our customers. Our culture is centered on rapid prototyping, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making. We run hundreds of experiments each year and our work has revolutionized e-commerce with features such as "Customers who bought this item also bought", "Frequently bought together", and "Buy it again". Amazon's internal surveys regularly recognize us as one of the best engineering organizations to work for in the company, with visible high-impact work, low operational load, respectful work-life balance, and continual opportunity to learn and grow.
About the role:
You will work closely with product management to define strategy and requirements, and lead a development team from design through delivery and subsequent operations and optimization. You will lead and mentor software engineers, and communicate regularly with senior management on status, risks, and strategy.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• 2+ years of experience managing a software development team.
• Must have delivered features for at least one large-scale production system.
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A proven track record of hiring and developing software engineers.
• A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time.
• Experience with the Scrum methodology (or similar alternatives) for agile software development.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud-based distributed software design and development, especially utilizing AWS services.
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance.
• Knowledge of machine learning approaches and algorithms, and experience building complex highly-scalable systems that involve predictive models or applications of machine learning.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.