The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) team is looking for a Software Development Manager in Vancouver, BC, Canada. RDS manages the world's biggest fleet of relational databases and our customers rely on us to keep their data safe, secure, and highly available.
We are looking for someone to fill a software management role owning a subset of the RDS service. You will manage a team of engineers with room for growth. The role encompasses both people and project management. As a manager within the team, you will have opportunities to set the teams' roadmap, and to work closely with large enterprise customers, product management teams, support teams, senior engineers and other managers within the Amazon Web Services (AWS) organization.
You value working with your team, using your unique skills to grow the individual's careers, and deliver impactful projects to our customers. You are open to learning new skills, growing your career, being mentored, and mentoring others. You know our customers count on us and take that responsibility seriously.
The RDS team has a strong culture of ownership, working as a team to solve pain points for our customers and ourselves. We know how to have a good time, we celebrate our successes, and we awkwardly sing happy birthday to each other (on our birthdays, not just anytime).
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one one day a month. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause and prioritize fixes to reduce operational load on team.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and our goal is to ensure all managers on the team have areas of ownership where they can drive progress. We welcome diverse perspectives in people and project management, and encourage our managers to take an individualized approach.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent technical education and work experience.
• 5+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience forming teams and recruiting software engineers and managers
• Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, and test driven development
• Excellent written and verbal proficiency with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Experience with scrum or kanban methodology for agile software development
• A passion for people management and mentoring
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Relational database experience
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.