Software Development Manager - Machine Learning
- New York, NY
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising solutions that drive discovery and sales. Our Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. We optimize systems and ad placements to match advertiser's demand with publisher's supply using a combination of machine learning (ML), deep learning and multi-objective constrained optimization, as well as ultra-low latency and high-volume engineering systems. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and to build a major, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
The Sponsored Products Search Relevance team owns finding the appropriate ads to surface to customers when they search for products on Amazon. We strive to understand our customers' intent and identify relevant ads which enable them to discover new and alternate products. This also enables sellers on Amazon to showcase their products to customers, which may at times be buried deeper in the search results.
Our systems and algorithms operate on one of the world's largest product catalogs, matching shoppers with products - with a high relevance bar and strict latency constraints. We are a team of machine learning scientists and software engineers working on complex solutions to understand the customer intent and present them with ads that are not only relevant to their actual shopping experience, but also non-obtrusive. This area is of strategic importance to Amazon Retail and Marketplace business, driving long term-growth.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager (ML) who can drive appropriate technology choices for the business, lead the way for continuous innovation, and shape the future of ad serving on Amazon search. You will lead a team that builds ML services to handle billions of requests per day, while maintaining response latencies in milliseconds and meeting strict SLA requirements. It is quite routine for our systems to operate on massive datasets using distributed frameworks. You will design and code, troubleshoot, and support high volume and low latency distributed systems. The solutions you create would drive step increases in coverage of sponsored ads across the retail website and ensure relevant ads are served to Amazon's customers. You will directly impact our customers' shopping experience while helping our sellers get the maximum ROI from advertising on Amazon. This role will provide exposure to cutting-edge innovations in product search, vector search, natural language processing (NLP), deep learning, and reinforcement learning.
As a Software Development Manager - Machine Learning, you will
• Lead a stellar team of machine learning engineers to deliver end-to-end machine-learning solutions to production to support various business initiatives.
• Focus on the automation, quality, optimization to improve team's machine learning productivity, and to advance the technical foundation to empower science innovation.
• Advance team's engineering craftsmanship and operational excellence and drive continued technical innovation as a thought leader and practitioner.
• Drive efficient planning and execution of new initiatives, including collaboration with scientists, product managers and partner teams
• Hire and develop top talents, provide technical and career development guidance to engineers in the organization.
Joining the team, you'll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon, one of the world's leading Internet companies.
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Proven track record of hiring and building high-performance teams and managing cross-functional projects
• Ability to lead the design of large-scale systems and to reason about the challenges and tradeoffs
• Experience in owning and operating business-critical applications and services, and the ability to manage operational health in terms of relevant KPIs and mechanisms for improvement
• Master's or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
• Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
• Experience with Big Data technologies such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, Lucene/SOLR or Storm/Samza
• Experience in computational advertising technology is a big plus
• Strong proficiency with Java, Python, Scala or C++
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top