Software Development Manager - Kindle Reader Engineering
Amazon Kindle is a revolutionary product and one of the most innovative and fastest growing businesses at Amazon. The Kindle Reader team is a fast paced and exciting group that delivers an amazing reading experience across a large and growing number of computing and mobile environments with a singular goal to make Kindle the indispensable product that inspires the world to read more, and get more out of reading, every day on all their devices.
Notetaking (highlighting, emphasizing, written notes, summarizing, organizing etc.) is one of the effective ways readers actively engage with their reading. Kindle customers create many notes on their devices and apps and it is one of the most used features on Kindle. We want to make notetaking easier and more enjoyable for all readers. We are looking for an engineering leader, Software Development Manager, to build and lead this team.
This role is inherently cross-functional - you will work closely with product, design, platform services and executive teams to bring innovative features to the global market. You will grow the development team and provide that team with technical direction and leadership. The team will work on a healthy mix of frontend customer facing challenges, including mobile, web and even voice UIs, as well as backend services. The role, and products your team will own will be highly visible to our leadership team.
- Developing the long-term strategy for your teams and translating that into an achievable road map/action plan
- Understanding how all elements of the system software ecosystem work together and developing engineering and testing approaches that fit the overall strategy
- Following agile development methodology to deliver updates at regular cadence to our customers
- Managing and executing against project plans and delivery commitments; managing engineering resources and other software engineering managers who drive the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Managing departmental resources, hiring, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Reporting on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are deeply technical, highly innovative and looking for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field
- At least 7+ years of industry experience
- At least 4+ years of people management experience, leading technical professionals, software developers, development managers, and/or technical program managers
- Master's degree
- A passion for people management and mentorship
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in cloud and/or mobile platforms
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills are required
- Experience working with products and services running in cloud
- OO programming experience and experience in Computer Science fundamentals
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life
- Good understanding of various JAVA open source libraries knowing what works and what doesn't and why
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects and products that can scale
- Strong business and technical vision
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top