Software Development Manager, Inventory Entropy Management, Amazon Fulfillment Technology
- Nashville, TN
A fulfillment center can appear to be a chaotic place. With millions of items moving in and out of an area twice as large as your average theme park every day, a quick peek under the roof would reveal a manic scene. You would see associates, machinery, vehicles, robots, and packages flying about at break-neck speeds and accessing a breathtaking number of shelves and bins that store products. In reality, however, this activity is all highly organized and orchestrated by software, with each movement carefully planned and optimized. However, there are times when mistakes occur: products may disappear, reappear in strange places, become damaged, or worse. When that happens, how does a fulfillment center operating at that size, speed, and scale recover gracefully and with minimal cost? How do we ensure that we meet our commitments to our customers and merchants? How do we find a needle in a haystack when we're constantly shuffling the haystack around? And how do we do it at extreme scale in an environment of constant growth?
That's where we come in, the AFT Inventory Entropy Management Tech Team. Our goal is to prevent entropy in a system in which there are billions of transactions driven by human and robotic input across hundreds of millions of items every year. We must ensure that the virtual and physical state of the world is aligned inside hundreds of Amazon's fulfillment centers globally. When our job is done well mistakes are corrected quickly, and products are always ready to sell and ship.
We operate at a nexus of machine learning, computer vision, robotics, and healthy measure of hard-earned expertise in operations to build automated, algorithmic approaches to solving these problems at minimal cost. We create cutting edge software, building automated processes and workflows in the most complex operational problem space in the business world. So what should you expect from this role?
• You will maange a team building new software services and tools from scratch and improve the design and implementation of existing systems.
• You will have the opportunity to take mission critical decisions on how we design production systems, what technology to use, and how best to solve problems that may have many solutions.
• You will be able to draw on the full range of AWS services as the backbone of your solutions.
• You will join a group of the best engineers in the world, and operate in a set of interconnected small teams with absolute ownership in your domain.
• You will work with research scientists who are experts in machine learning and computer vision, developing next generation intelligent systems.
• You will have the opportunity influence business and technical leaders across the organization to transform operations towards greater efficiency and automation.
If you're ready to join our team, get in touch and we'll tell you more!
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or 6+ related years of work experience
• 4+ years of experience managing software development teams with hands-on involvement in system architecture, design, and performance
• Deep technical expertise and strong problem-solving and data analysis skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
• The ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A thorough understanding of software development in a team and a strong track record of shipping software
• 6+ years experience in Agile Software Development methodologies
• Experience with development of large scale distributed systems
• Experience with Machine Learning (Random Forest, Cascading models, Computer Vision, etc)
• Experience building enterprise level systems with AWS technologies
• Experience with Big data and highly scalable systems
• Ability to build a domain-wide vision
Back to top