Software Development Manager III
- Toronto, Canada
Have you ever shopped for an out-of-stock item and wondered how Amazon predicts how long it will take to receive the item? Would you like to be part of the team that helps Amazon customers order the items they want, even when those items are currently out of stock? Are you excited at the prospect of making the largest possible selection of items available to Amazon customers all around the world, while generating billions of dollars in sales?
As the Software Development Manager of Supply Forecasting, you will lead and motivate a talented 2-pizza team that develops and maintains systems that collect inventory signals from vendors, predicts product availability, uses machine learning to predict delivery times for out-of-stock products, and provides critical services for internal teams within Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT). You will also have an opportunity to design and deliver a new machine learning system to predict how much inventory vendors will actually send to Amazon after they receive a purchase order.
In your role, you will collaborate with PMs, other engineering managers, and senior engineers across teams to drive vision, manage 1-3 year roadmaps, and produce results. You will plan and administer your team's agile software development lifecycle while also managing the operational needs of the business.
You should be comfortable in developing high-level architecture for software systems, but also be able to deep-dive into design and low-level details. You have the ability to suggest and carry out practical actions to deal with issues while building reliable, high performance software systems in a cloud environment. To excel in this role, it is also necessary to have strong written and verbal communication skills, business-savvy, and an ability to effectively communicate customer and product requirements.
• Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• 7+ years of experience converting complex, worldwide-scale business requirements into simplified, scalable software architectures. Solid analytical abilities and proven design skills are required.
• 3+ years of experience leading software development teams, including managing the complete software development life cycle for large scale products and services, within an Agile/Scrum environment.
• Problem-solving skills and the abilities to analyze quantitatively, scope technical requirements and effectively prioritize program deliverables.
• Experience conceptualizing and launching new technical solutions within a large organization.
• Experience building new technical teams from scratch, including hiring, bootstrapping new development processes, establishing metrics and testing methodologies, and setting up automated deployments.
• Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills, with the ability to drive operational excellence and best practices within a larger engineering community that is working on complex technical problems.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
• Experience in machine learning.
• Experience managing technical teams across multiple geographies.
Back to top