Software Development Manager - FinTech
- Jersey City, NJ
Do you find the challenge of solving problems that have never been solved before exciting? Are you passionate about using AWS technologies to the fullest potential? Do you thrive in creatively building and leading an Amazon 2 Pizza Team? Do you get energized building solutions for customers you can actually talk to?
AWS Finance Technology (AWS FinTech) is an organization where people, technology and innovation come together to build products and solve problems for all of Amazon. The Roster technology group at AWS FinTech builds services that enable financial analysis and planning at many different levels of aggregation for our internal customers. We engineer real-time financial operating platforms that enable Amazon to scale to a trillion-dollar company. If you are passionate about building on AWS using modern techniques such as serverless application development, large scale event and data processing, machine learning for anomaly detection, and automation at scale to drive automation, this is the team for you.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead a team of software engineers in our Seattle office. Our ideal candidate is customer focused and enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts that are typically being defined in real-time. You will be a passionate builder of talent and teams. As a Manager within AWS FinTech you will help set the vision for a new suite of technology that will enable thousands of global Amazonians to continue to be Earth's Most Customer Centric Company.
In this role you will be responsible for leading a team of software developers to create world-class finance systems that support Amazon's global footprint. You will insist on the highest standards for quality, maintainability, and performance. The systems we own are responsible for trillions of financial events and payment flows that would rank among the largest countries in the world by GDP. You will ensure that engineering best practices are followed and that software is designed to be highly-available, dynamically scalable, and resilient to continuity threats. You will own the goals and roadmap of your team, along with the strategic direction of your software and shape of your organization.
As a technology leader, you will drive architectural and design choices and invent new features. We have a team culture that encourages innovation and we expect developers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture and project delivery. Successful candidates will be high-bandwidth leaders who can cut through the noise, simplify imaginatively, deliver results, and build great teams around themselves.
• Responsible for the overall systems development life cycle
• Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map/action plan
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
• Build and manage a team of engineers. Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach technical staff
• Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
• 6+ years professional experience in software development, with a demonstrated ability to envision, evangelize, and deliver solutions
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of multiple programming languages, including include C++ and/or Java
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to gather requirements, describe software product features, and present technical designs.
• Expertise with data structures, algorithms, and relational databases
• Expertise with AWS
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
• Full stack experience ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top