Software Development Manager - Device Services
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Software Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end to end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. At Amazon an SDM can expect to hire, lead and build teams that design flexible and scalable solutions, and work on some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing in a high pace environment.
The right candidate for this role enjoys taking on hard, ambiguous problems and breaking them down to their simple parts. They are creative, driven, and highly productive. They are a great team player who will naturally elevate the performance of the people around them. They have a track record of quickly picking up on complex technical systems.
- Work with other senior leaders on the team to build the technical strategy & architecture for a broad area
- Design & develop teams that build world class software and services
- Mentor & grow engineers across the team, leading by example and insisting on high standards
- Develop tools & processes to enable best-in-class operations for our services
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of a range of products and services that work across devices, mobile platforms and backend cloud systems. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will be helping to hire and build your team and systems.
- Responsible for the over-all systems development life cycle of a key product sub-system
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are deeply technical, highly innovative and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
- 10+ years experience building successful production software systems
- Computer Science fundamentals (based on a BS or MS in CS or related field)
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or PERL
- Development experience on embedded devices, BLE, WIFI, FreeRTOS, Android, Apple iOS
- The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
- Experience working with networking or communications devices in an embedded environment
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- A passion for developing engaging customer user experiences.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and evaluate customer applications and interaction methodologies.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top