Software Development Manager - Device Services
- Jersey City, NJ
Amazon Devices (Echo, Plug, FireTV, Kindle, etc.) is looking for a Software Development Manager (SDM) to make bringing smart devices into your home a magical experience. One of the largest customer dissatisfiers with smart devices is the complexity and effort required to setup new devices. We are developing technology to eliminate smart device setup (and re-setup) by enabling both Amazon's and 3P devices to talk among themselves and a set of cloud services to aide in the configuration of new devices that enter the home.
While we have deployed this technology to tens of millions of device and demonstrated significant value we are still a fairly new program, continuing to look for clever ways to make this experience significantly more elegant, for a larger variety of devices. We are looking for Software Development Managers that work well both in a start-up environment while working on systems with infinite scale. You will be influencing the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions of customers around the world. You can expect to hire, lead and build teams that work on some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing. We are looking for creative and driven individuals with a passion for smart home technology. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, are deeply technical, and passionate to build pioneering solutions, we would love to talk to you.
• Work with senior leaders a vision and technical strategy
• Develop teams that work on cloud services, devices and mobile apps
• Work closely with the engineers to build the best technical design and approach
• Mentor & grow engineers across the team, insisting on high standards
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment and collaborate with partner teams
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance
• Develop tools & processes to enable best-in-class operations for our services for Amazon and 3rd Party devices
This position includes working closely with product management and peer SDMs.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• • 10+ years' experience building successful production software systems
• Computer Science fundamentals (based on a BS or MS in CS or related field)
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or PERL
• SDM experience in cloud services, embedded devices, SDK development, and mobile apps (iOS, Android) with high level understanding of communication protocols like BLE, WiFi
• Experience working with geographically diverse partner teams
• • Experience with launching feature with 3rd Party developer partners
• Experience working with networking or communications devices in an embedded environment
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
• A strong track record of project delivery for large cross-functional projects
• A passion for developing engaging customer user experiences.
• Ability to rapidly prototype and evaluate customer applications and interaction methodologies.
Back to top