Software Development Manager
- Tempe, AZ
We have exciting things going on in the AWS Enterprise Engineering organization, and we're looking for a Software Development leader that is ready to join AWS and help us innovate on behalf of our customers.
In AWS Enterprise Engineering Infrastructure, we build the software, services, and infrastructure that enable Amazon services across the world to build and deliver for customers. We represent the intersection of AWS technology and the need for traditional IT solutions at Amazon's scale. We're an AWS-focused, builder-centric organization, focused on using AWS technology to reshape and reinvent foundational infrastructure technologies. We build software and services that are critical to all Amazon businesses and teams globally. We succeed when Amazon builders have the underlying infrastructure services to operate at scale, worldwide.
What you will do:
In this role, you own a key technology in the AWS ecosystem. You and your team will directly influence the AWS technology ecosystem. You will be join a group of technology leaders that are determined to delight our customers while helping AWS deliver new tooling and services to enable massive growth. You will integrate with AWS products, you will help evaluate new AWS offerings, and you will build new software/services to fill gaps. You will lead a full-stack development team - services and API's to provide end user a seamless experience of our services. You will build for a global audience, delivering highly-scalable services and a low-latency experience for all of your customers. If you are ready for an opportunity like this, we would love to hear from you.
Why it matters:
Amazon and Amazon Web Services are growing at an incredible rate. To keep up with that growth, we must continually innovate with new processes and automation that simplify our operations at massive scale. You'll have a company-wide impact; your work will impact thousands of developers and teams. You'll help us rapidly launch and scale our services. The processes you operate will benefit Amazon's external customers, by they using the Retail website and Amazon Web Services.
Why you'll love it:
You'll see all aspects of the Amazon business, from our Retail websites to our digital products to the inner workings of Amazon Web Services. You'll work with massive data sets. You'll improve the agility of our technical teams. You'll be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You'll have ownership, not just responsibility; and you'll define and execute processes to deliver both savings and productivity for AWS and Amazon.
As a Software Development Manager you will:
• Lead a team to build and rollout systems to multiple global regions.
• Have end to end ownership of major engineering projects within the Enterprise Engineering space.
• Build Infrastructure as Code and DevOps tooling.
• Create processes that can be leveraged to help drive efficiencies and quality.
• Work closely with our internal customers to help alleviate their problems and meet their demands.
• Work on new designs/solutions, bringing them from concept to launch and operations.
• Create and update our infrastructure and security standards and ensure that the systems adheres these standards.
• Review and implement changes on the systems utilizing thorough test plans.
• Lead efforts to drive automation teams to assist in defining the tools we require.
• Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our system quality and reliability.
• Work with a wide range of technologies.
• Work on a variety of hardware platforms across multiple vendors.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous leader, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of delivering large-scale engineering projects. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous technical interview process.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
• 5+ years of Software Development experience, including hands-on development work and object-oriented design.
• 5+ years of experience leading and managing engineering teams.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
• Strong sense of ownership, including an ability to promote operational excellence.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong program and product management skills.
• Experience with AWS platforms, services, and design patterns.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
• Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
• Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
• Experience with network components (Load Balancers, firewall, etc.)
• Previous experience with the following in a LINUX environment x.500 directory structures.
• Understanding of Load Balancers, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, SSL/TLS certificate management, DNS, and Routing
• Hands on AWS experience with production workloads.
• Deep understanding of object oriented principles and experience with Python, Ruby, Bash, and Perl and willing to expand
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top