Software Development Manager
- New York, NY
Amazon Selection and Catalog Systems (ASCS) builds the systems that host and run the world's largest e-Commerce products catalog. Our large scale distributed systems process hundreds of millions of updates on the billions of products to power the online buying experience for hundreds of millions of Amazon's customers worldwide, so they can find, discover and buy anything they want 24x7x365.
We are looking to expand the NYC Catalog Relationships Platform team whose charter is to own the end-to-end management of relationships between items in the catalog and beyond. The scope of activities include ingestion of relationship data, ML based validations, data modeling to capture relationships, core processing pipelines and storage architectures, and systems that publish and make relationships data available across Amazon.
Do you enjoy the challenge and ownership that comes from driving large scale software initiatives, with direct and visible impacts across all of Amazon? Do you like to lead and develop a team of talented engineers? Do you like working in an entrepreneurial environment solving complex technical problems and delivering innovative solutions? If you answer yes, building the Earth's largest product selection may just be the perfect opportunity for you.
A successful candidate will have an established track record of developing and delivering complex distributed software systems, a keen technical aptitude, excellent project management skills, solid communication skills, and be driven to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
• Thinking big and working with executive leadership and business stakeholders to define strategy and roadmap.
• Management and execution against roadmap, project plans and delivery commitments
• Owning all metrics around initiative goals you will define. We make decisions based on data.
• Responsible for the overall systems development life cycle
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team
• Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
• Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Customer Obsession
• Thinks big
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Hires and develops great people
• Strong results orientation
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
Come be a part of a foundational team in the Amazon e-commerce platform, and make changes with impact on both the selling and buying customer experience.
• 5+ years of relevant work experience in managing engineering teams and software application development.
• A deep understanding of software development, architecture, and infrastructure.
• Exposure to Agile and Scrum development methodologies
• Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, experience building distributed systems and a track record of shipping software on time.
• The ability to align efforts of disparate groups to achieve a common goal
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
* Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top