Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), security is job zero. Our team is part of Access Management Services, within AWS Security. We are responsible for inventing and simplifying features and services for applying preventative access controls at Amazon's massive scale. Our team owns and operates standardized access management services that all Amazon organizations rely on for managing ownership and permissions to their physical and digital resources. We build features and solutions to prevent inappropriate access to Amazon data and resources. Our customers make thousands of authorization checks per second for over 15MM resources that are managed in our systems at sub second latency. And our systems provide visibility into, and enforce regular reviews of, the access grants that enable Amazon and AWS to fulfill their complex audit and compliance requirements. Since our systems are foundational to the Amazon ecosystem, you will also have the opportunity to learn about various Amazon business including the Amazon e-Commerce websites, Prime, Alexa, and core AWS products and services.
We have an audacious long term vision and our 2021 roadmap contains many customer-delighting features. We are looking for a Software Development Manager who is obsessed about preserving customer trust by raising the security bar for access controls at Amazon. If you are an experienced engineering leader who dares to think big and does not hesitate to dive deep with the team to make security and innovation simultaneous for product teams across all Amazon organizations, come lead this mission critical team!
We need a seasoned engineering leader to drive the strategic vision while delighting customers with roadmap execution. If you like owning big, mission critical Tier1 services, challenge the status quo, solving hard problems, and positively impacting customer trust, you'll enjoy leading this team.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 7+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in databases and knowledge of at least one DB technology such as SQL, Document based DB, or Key-Value datastores.
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis • Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with cloud services, distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top