Software Development Manager
- Palo Alto, CA
The AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing automated relational database management in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all automatically handled by our control systems.
Amazon RDS Open Source is an exciting new area of innovation for AWS, and PostgreSQL is fast growing database engine. We are helping customers have performance, availability and durability, with the world's most advanced open source database - PostgreSQL, with managed benefits of RDS.
The systems we build manage huge numbers of databases, and our service is growing fast, requiring constant innovations in our systems in order to handle the next order of magnitude in service scale.
We are looking for a for a seasoned and talented software engineering manager to join the team in East Palo Alto, California. You have a passion for software development and can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen production code fail (and fixed) in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger. You've written and released lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. You love to learn new things and grow.
What You'll Do
• Effectively mentor and manage a team of software developers including their projects and performance
• Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
• Work with other managers and team members to estimate effort and document scope
• Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
• Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
• Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters or PhD preferred.
• 10+ years of Software Development experience
• At least 6 years of experience managing software engineering teams
• Experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, C# or other object oriented programming languages
• Experience in using at least one relational database engine
• Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
• Deep expertise in SQL databases like PostgreSQL
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top