Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to be a part of the team that builds Amazon's Most Customer Centric Technologies?
We redefine the customer contact experience by exposing a new messaging-based contact channel (Message Us) and using an automated assistant (chatbot) to better understand the customer problem and guide them to resolution via automation. Message Us, is Amazon CS's bot-first, text-based contact channel which uses new cutting-edge technologies and machine learning build in-house ground up. We focus on building scalable platforms and systems for customers and agents to power automation globally across many languages for the billions of customers and thousands of agents that use our products in many marketplaces every day. We also invest in experimentation to identify new and inventive ways to build and scale chat bots for Amazon customer service (CS).
We are looking for a SDM who is technically proficient on front end and backend technologies, effective communicator and able to build a high functioning team. They are able to lead a team of engineers to define the platform strategy, design innovative solutions, influence strategy for the team, drive strategic communication, manage stakeholders, and establish engineering best practices. They always work backwards from customers, own the space and demonstrate bias for action to deliver results without compromising on quality. They embrace diverse roles including Front End Engineers, System Development Engineers, SDEs, ML Scientists and PMs to deliver a common goal.
As a SDM on this team, you will be responsible for the end-to-end MU and ChatBot architecture and the customer facing User Interface. You will work on transforming MU product into a platform to support all Amazon CS business verticals. You will own experimenting with different machine learning chatbot technologies in MU. You will hire and lead a team of engineers in designing and building innovative software solutions for customers. You will work with a diverse, talented, experienced, and fun tech, product, and ux team. You will innovate to design simple but scalable solutions for problems never solved before that enforce Amazon's Customer Obsession. Your hard work will provide the ultimate customer service experience needed to anticipate and resolve customer's questions using a bot as mentioned in forbes. You will have the opportunity to work with business partners, senior leadership and engineers, influence and drive product vision and lead the design of our systems. At Amazon, we are known for our customer obsession. We need your ideas and your ability to take initiative, innovate, and produce results as we continuously improve the customer experience.
We use Scrum, test-driven development, and continuous deployment to deliver projects based on realistic timelines and resource constraints.
If you are excited by this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you!
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
• 5+ years of Software Development experience
• 2+ years of experience as a development manager building and leading strong engineering teams
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in software design and development
• Experience with Java, or Java Script
• Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
• Experience managing external stakeholders
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Managed a team of 6+ engineers
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Experience with the SCRUM methodology for agile software development preferred
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
• A passion for people management and mentorship
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top