Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Have you ever dreamed of shaping the way the best cloud provider on earth does business? Our teams are re-inventing what integrated, context aware, highly secure, and community driven tooling looks like in the 21st century. We are looking for a technical leader that can build the every day operating experience for large sets of internal teams in AWS. It will be a performant, secure, integrated with impactful toolsets, and a key part of our organizational strategy for the foreseeable future. They need to be able to evaluate and evolve the technology as the cloud around them evolves, and be ready to invent new ways of solving exciting new challenges every day.
To do so, you should be passionate about unlocking the potential of our vast organization of cloud experts. You'll be energized by empowering these experts with platform level capabilities to safely construct and endlessly extend our scalable systems to serve AWS customers. The team of highly skilled developers you lead will have an appreciable impact on the quality and speed of service, the satisfaction of our customers, and the bottom line of AWS.
This person will have the responsibility to:
• Define and drive the multi-year vision for the team.
• Drive project initiatives to deliver robust and scalable solutions toward this vision, incorporate in new technologies as appropriate.
• Work closely with Development Managers, Engineers and Technical Project Managers across the company to influence product development to support or enhance products.
• Build relationships with existing and potential internal customers to understand their requirements and demonstrate how products can add value to their business.
• Work with Project Managers to add new features to roadmaps, prioritize them, and facilitate delivery on requirements and functional specifications.
• Own, oversee, and delegate the design, architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services or technologies.
• Using Agile project management methodologies, and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) for multiple projects that leverage Object Oriented design (OOD), distributed programming, C++, Perl and Java.
• Build, manage, and develop world-class engineers and project managers, including hiring recommendations, and guide and mentor engineers and project managers within and outside of the team.
• Ensure high quality design reviews which meet business and architectural goals and drive critical feedback on architecture and design issues.
• Oversee resource allocation to ensure appropriate business and staff development goals are met.
• Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business with team, management chain and with customers
• A minimum of 1 years of experience managing a team of software development professionals within a distributed systems environment.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field plus five years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
• Two years of experience in the job offered or related occupation must involve using Object Oriented design (OOD), distributed programming, C++, Perl and Java; managing all aspects of the software development lifecycle of multiple software development projects using an Agile project management methodology (Spiral, Iterative Spiral,
• Extreme/Agile Project Management, Scrum); and directly managing engineering staff and making hiring and promotion decisions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top