Software Development Manager
- Bengaluru, India
Software Development Manager, Self-Service Performance Advertising
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class Advertising business and at SSPA (Self Service Performance Advertising) we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and a bias for action. With SSPA you will have the satisfaction of seeing your work positively affect multi-billion dollar advertising business and significantly impact the Amazon vision. You will have opportunities to experiment and innovate, grow your technical skills and work in an environment that thrives on creativity, experimentation, and product innovation.
The SSPA Analytics and Data Management (ADM) team's mission is to provide advertising teams a unified experience for data discovery, access and analysis that enables faster insights generation and decision making over the data generated across Amazon. Our work is strategically important to data engineers, business analysts, ML engineers, research scientists, economists and finance experts across SSPA. The ADM team own Spektr which is a fully NAWS based, privacy compliant, scalable data lake and ETL pipeline built to power the ADM mission. The Spektr ETL pipeline, fronts the multi-petabyte data lake supporting seamless data ingestions from data sources across Amazon, with 99%+ availability guarantees to consumers. The pipeline services are Lambda based, with Airflow-based orchestration managing Spark jobs that run on scalable EMR clusters. All job management aspects of the pipeline are configurable and self-serve to our customers, with UI support. The pipeline currently manages a throughput of several peta-bytes each week and is expected to grow 3-5x of the current volume in 2021.
As an SDM you and your team will have the opportunity to work on challenges of scale, usability and cost while demonstrating material impact for our customers. You will own the charter to scale up our pipeline by a combination of batch and real-time stream processing technologies to support exabytes volumes, as well as experiment with cutting-edge NAWS based offerings to improve orchestration, monitoring and processing guarantees for 10k+ jobs. You will drive 100% self-serviceability of the pipeline for our customers for not only job management but also future requirements such as ML pipeline and SDK integrations with upstream and downstream services. You will own and support integrations with data quality and data discovery/understanding frameworks within ADM and across Amazon to improve data trust and reduce time to find information. You will bring the best software development practices of scalability, reliability and automation to our growing software stack, eliminate redundancies and improve operational efficiency.
A successful candidate will demonstrate sound technical acumen in areas such as big data and distributed computing, excellent project management skills as well as great communication skills. You should enjoy working in a collaborative, analytical, and fast-paced environment and be comfortable interacting with highly technical cross-functional teams as well as engineering and product leadership. You will be responsible for fostering a culture of excellence not only for our customers but also for our team.
• Strategic leadership around the continuous evolution of the Spektr ETL pipeline.
• Establish a consistent, project management framework and excellent development processes to deliver high quality software, in rapid iterations, for business partners in multiple teams.
• Be a champion of engineering and operational excellence: establish team metrics for measurement of engineering and performance excellence and a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
• Anticipate bottlenecks, manage risk and escalations, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
• Hire, manage and nurture great technical talent
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Bachelors (B.Tech/BS/BE) in Computer Science or related field
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience, with 3+ years of people management experience
• Strong proven ability in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable big data and distributed systems
• Strong sense of ownership and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
• Ability to learn new technologies and systems
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Knowledge of professional software engineering, development and operational best practices
• Experience with ETL (Extract Transform Load), Data Warehousing systems, and big data technologies.
• Experience in communicating with customers, technical, business teams and management to collect requirements, describe product features, and technical designs.
• Experience with large scale systems.
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment
• Experience working with AWS technologies like S3, EMR, Redshift, among others.
Back to top