Amazon's Traffic and Marketing technology team is building the Internet's largest-scale Search Marketing system. The team is responsible for a scaled, high availability system, and the algorithms that automatically generate, target, measure, and optimize tens of millions of search engine ad placements. The ad placements include Text ads, Product image based Shopping Ads. We routinely solve challenges related to large scale distributed systems and web services. We manage a continuously growing portfolio of advertisements while maximizing returns through bidding efficiency and discovery of new keywords, products and revenue opportunities. Cutting edge technology and algorithms including statistical modeling, machine learning, and data mining are the core of our business. Search Marketing drives a large portion of Amazon's business, and represents a unique opportunity to drive impact on the company's bottom line. With essentially full ownership of our own product road map, there is a large R&D component to our work, and strong engineering skills together with sound business understanding and an appetite for innovation are highly valued.
The ideal candidate for our team is a thinker and a doer: someone who loves sophisticated algorithms and mathematical precision, but at the same time enjoys leading teams to implement real systems, and is motivated by the prospect of multi-million dollar business returns. As the Software Development Manager (SDM) on the Search Marketing team, you will hire and lead the group of Software Development Engineers responsible for developing the technology to optimize tens of millions of search engine ad placements, as customer search for Amazon products on search engines. As the leader of the team, you will own the technical direction for the team, and you will be leading key projects from ideation all the way to deployment. You will be working closely with both technical and business leaders to fulfill your mission.
• Hire, manage, mentor and grow a high performance team of Software Engineers
• Provide technical expertise and leadership throughout product life cycles, influence software engineers best practices for your team and own operational metrics
• Work with business leaders and product managers to define product requirements.
• Prioritize, communicate, maintain, and execute road maps, project plans, and commitments
• Work with engineers to define technical requirements and architect and execute best-in-class implementations in agile manner
• Build and maintain world-class customer experience and operational excellence for your deliverables.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
• 4+ years professional experience in software development management
• 2+ years experience in managing large scale software development teams following Agile development processes
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, Scala, C#, C++ etc
• Deep understanding of system architecture and OO design
• Ability to solve complex technical problems and design robust, scalable solutions
• Ability to think critically and actively contribute to strategic choices
• Ability to take a project from initial scoping requirements through actual launch and support of the project
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical discussions
• Proven leadership and teamwork skills
• Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume data processing and transaction applications
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Clear, professional communication skills able to contribute to team discussions, knowing when to contribute, when to listen, and when to ask questions
• Strong skills in project planning & execution, problem solving
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .