Software Development Manager
What would you do if you had access to the world's largest product catalog with billions of products, offers, images, reviews, searches, and much more? Amazon's Catalog Systems division is looking for an exceptional engineering manager to lead, architect and deliver solutions that enhance the richness and quality of our massive product catalog utilizing cloud computing, big data analytics, machine learning algorithms, human intelligence and crowd sourcing. You will be managing a diverse team of engineers, product managers and research scientists, innovating in collective human intelligence.
An information-rich and accurate product catalog is a critical strategic asset for Amazon. It powers unrivaled product discovery, informs customers' buying decisions, offers a large selection and positions Amazon as the first stop for our customers. This is a unique position that provides an opportunity to build data-driven systems at a scale rarely available anywhere else. As a leader of this team you will conceive and deliver an experimentation platform that will allow business and engineering teams to launch and manage experiments, rollout new catalog services and sub-systems and associate them to end customer and business impact. This end-to-end ecosystem will be the cornerstone to ideate, test and launch new solutions to influence the way millions of our customers discover and buy our products worldwide.
Here is a sample of some of the cool areas you will be involved in:
Scalability: Design and think at scale. Amazon's product catalog has billions of records with a mind boggling variety of products and millions of customers in multiple countries. We build systems and design algorithms that are able to handle these large amounts of data and make sure the cloud usage scales sub-linear with the ever growing data size. Where traditional solutions fail we develop approximate, distributed, and streaming algorithms.
Data analysis: We build data analytical workflows to dig into the huge amounts of data available at Amazon using data mining, machine learning, and statistics. We look for patterns, train thousands of models and use them to build solutions that improve the catalog quality. We collect knowledge through crowdsourcing and auditing and train models that generalize across the catalog.
Statistics: Optimal techniques to sample the massive product catalog for humans to audit different dimensions of data quality issues and consolidating the results.
Measure and Improve: We obsess on identifying new ways to measure the effectiveness of our solutions and ways to improve them. We identify areas of improvement in our frameworks, tools, processes and strive to make them better. We continually evaluate our success metrics and evolve our reporting systems.
Systems: We leverage Amazon's cloud infrastructure to scale. We create production workflows and applications utilizing AWS technologies such as EMR, SWF, Data Flow, RedShift and SQS. Our systems must run reliably in the face of variations in the input data or local hardware failures in distributed systems.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map.
- Lead a nimble team of software engineers to architect, develop, test and deploy high quality software solutions with persistent customer focus within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments.
- Manage departmental resources: hiring, mentoring, career management and maintaining a high performing team.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
You are a seasoned people manager who has led engineering teams and consistently delivered high quality software solutions with a strong customer and business focus on time. You thrive on tackling very hard problems. You have great problem-solving skills and have many years of hands-on software development skills. You are an excellent communicator, both verbal and written, and equally adept at communicating upwards and downwards. You are curious, love to dive deep and collect data to make well informed decisions, but use sound judgment in face of insufficient data. You keep abreast of the latest technology developments and drive your teams to innovate.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience managing team of software engineers including identifying, hiring and developing top talent
- 5+ years of software management and a proven ability to translate customer needs into business and product requirements.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop project business cases and deciding the right priority.
- Proven ability to architect large scale systems.
- High attention to detail including precise and effective customer communications.
- Ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, schedule tradeoffs and opportunistic new ideas with technical employees.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired.
- Advanced degree/PhD/Masters in Computer Science/related field
- Familiarity with machine learning and data mining techniques
- Experience in Statistics
- Experience in User Interaction design especially on Mobile and Tablets
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative team environment and effectively interact with technical and non-technical workers.
- Consistent track record of delivery.
- Composed, poised and professional demeanor.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top