Software Development Manager (AWS Nitro)
Are you passionate about the cloud? Interested in expanding on one of the strongest operating platforms in history? Amazon's Compute Cloud (EC2) in Seattle is looking for engaged and experienced Software Engineering Leaders to join us as we invest and expand in support of our exciting growth. Here at Amazon, our Compute Cloud (EC2) acts as the centerpiece of all-things AWS and our ecosystem of cloud-infrastructure services. As part of continuing to build the team supporting this key service, we are expanding our team in Seattle.
Specifically within AWS Nitro, the Instance Quality group seeks an experienced Engineering Leader with a passion for designing and developing highly scalable, distributed software. The team's problem space is diverse and interesting and you will have ample opportunity to work with a variety of exciting technologies in support of maximizing the health of all compute workloads across all our infrastructure.
Responsibilities will include:
• Manage a team that develops software for the Nitro infrastructure
• Work across various environments from team labs to public EC2
• Champion continuous improvements to testing coverage, diversity, and alarming
• Lead the team to schedule and manage the contents for future and on-going upgrades and releases.
The ideal candidate is expected to have solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, and expertise in C/C++ development in a Linux environment. Specific, in-depth knowledge of the use, design, and development of Linux operating system internals is preferred.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
• 7+ years' software experience in a modern programming language, such as Java, Scala, C or C++.
• 4+ years' experience managing and developing direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement)
• Computer Science fundamentals in software design
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C++, Python, Rust or Go
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
Back to top