Software Development Manager - AWS Crypto Tools
- Seattle, WA
Are you excited at the prospect of keeping millions of customers' data safe? Do you want to help secure web services by implementing cryptography at scale? Security is the #1 concern of customers moving to the cloud and the AWS Cryptography team is dedicated to providing the security features our customers need. We enable customers to confidently move sensitive workloads to the cloud where they can benefit from strong security controls that help meet internal and external compliance requirements. AWS Key Management Service and AWS CloudHSM provide encryption and key management services, while AWS Certificate Manager handles the complexity of provisioning, deploying, and managing certificates.
The AWS Crypto Tools team helps AWS service teams and AWS customers protect their sensitive data inside and outside of the cloud by building and maintaining easy to use, secure, open source encryption tools and libraries. We are looking for an experienced software development manager with an interest in practical cryptography and open source software to join us in building the most secure and user-friendly tools available to help our customers protect their data and accelerate use of cryptography in all AWS services.
You should have experience designing scalable, customer-centric systems and a passion for delivering secure software solutions. Along with senior leaders, principal engineers, and security specialists you will own delivering and supporting cryptographic tools and libraries used by internal and external customers around the world.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Building, leading, and growing a team of software development engineers and software development managers to build massively scalable tools and libraries that are core to all AWS services
• Leading cross-organizational initiatives to improve customer experience and performance of encryption in transit and encryption at rest across all AWS services
• Owning the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, testing, and implementing new features for Encryption in Transit, Encryption at Rest, and Cryptographic Implementation at AWS scale
• Operating an AWS business with globally distributed customers
• Delivering foundational libraries for one of the most secure and reliable services in all of AWS #AWSCrypto
• Mentoring and sponsoring other Amazonians
• Reinforcing and extending Amazon Leadership Principles across AWS and Amazon as the foundation of our unique, inclusive, innovative culture
• Work directly with customers to understand their requirements and champion their needs; incorporate customer-requested work into your engineering roadmap
• Own all operational metrics and support for your team's software
• Manage the agile development process and methodology to deliver incremental value to customers
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 10+ years software development experience with large-scale Internet-facing system
• 3+ years experience managing a team of software engineers including performance and career management of team members
• Experience leading cross-organizational security engineering initiatives or software design for distributed scalable systems
• Experience designing, developing, and delivering simple solutions to complex, ambiguous problems
• Experience writing software in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent professional experience)
• 5+ years experience managing software managers (leader of leaders)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey technical information to a wide variety of audiences
• Strong and creative problem solving abilities
• Knowledge and experience with cryptography and computer security
• Post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
• Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to take a project or significant feature from concept to launch
• Distributed systems experience
• Experience working with cryptographic systems such as Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) or key management systems such as Hardware Security Modules (HSMs)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top