Amazon Web Services (AWS) is growing rapidlymillions of customers from independent developers to large enterprises visit our management console.
The AWS User Experience Products & Platform team is responsible for products that enable AWS users to manage their applications and infrastructure on AWS. Our mission is to deliver an effective, and loved user experience that makes it easy for all users to discover, learn, and build on AWS. Today, we own the AWS Management Console, the AWS Console Mobile App, the AWS Chatbot, and the User Experience Platform used by 175+ AWS service teams to develop and deliver their user experience across multiple channels (web, mobile, chat).
The AWS User Experience Products & Platform team is a multi-disciplinary team comprising members from different areas - UX Research, UX Design, User Insights & Analytics, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Secure/Available/Scalable (at AWS scale) services, and Web/Mobile/Conversational User Interfaces. Our team is a great place for those who are passionate about building great user and developer experiences for millions of users across the globe. Our team members love solving challenging problems to innovate on behalf of AWS users who come from diverse backgrounds spanning different personas, differing levels of experience, different countries, and different expectations on how they would like to interact with AWS.
The Software Development Manager will provide technical leadership and management for a development team. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of consumer software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing, and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment. You will:
• Build and adapt assistive technologies across a variety of product categories
• Work with product management and cross functional teams to build and ship technical solutions for desired user experiences across a broad range of products
• Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements
• Establish aggressive, achievable schedules for development and execute on them
• Implement process improvements for both your own and surrounding teams.
• Drive and facilitate innovation within the team.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
• 5+ years management experience leading software development teams
• 4+ years of development experience in and/or Java and Front end technologies
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• Strong and creative problem-solving abilities
• Experience with Agile and Scrum methodologies
• Passion for simplicity and building highly leveraged reusable software platforms, components, and APIs
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• 1+ years of experience with modern client side web development technologies with at least: React, Angular, Polymer, Ember, Meteor, or equivalent.
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit