Software Development Manager position within Amazon Web Services (AWS) located in our Development Center in the Seaport District of Boston, MA as part of the Storage Gateway team. Candidates with large scale distributed systems and storage experience would be ideal.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world.
AWS Storage Gateway is a service connecting an on-premises software appliance with cloud-based storage to provide seamless and secure integration between an organization's on-premises IT environment and AWS's storage infrastructure. The service allows you to securely store data in the AWS cloud for scalable and cost-effective storage. The AWS Storage Gateway supports industry-standard storage protocols that work with your existing applications. It provides low-latency performance by maintaining frequently accessed data on-premises while securely storing all of your data encrypted in Amazon S3, Amazon EBS, or Amazon Glacier.
We are looking for experienced Engineering Leaders to grow AWS business. In this position you will be a member of a leadership team on a game changing AWS service that is reliable, scalable and high-performing. In addition, at Amazon, along with superlative technical strength, we expect our engineering leaders to interact with customers, to understand our business goals, and to innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and ground-breaking functionality.
The ideal candidate is excited about the incredible opportunity that cloud computing represents, and is passionate about delivering high quality services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities can shift fast. The leaders we are looking for will bring proven experience building, leading, managing, and mentoring engineering teams. Experience with using, and especially operating web-based infrastructure services is a plus.
Building a High-Performing & Inclusive Team Culture
You should be passionate about attracting & developing a world-class team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skillsets to deliver results. Driving results through others is your primary responsibility, and doing so in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is key to our long-term success.
Energizing and Interesting Technical Problems
You will be working on enabling your team to build and operate a petabytes scale distributed storage service. Partnering with your team, you will be solving challenging distributed system, systems programming, and networking using the latest high performance computing concepts.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We're committed to the growth and development of every member and that includes our dev managers. You'll have the opportunity to grow your scope of influence naturally as we scale and will have get to hire & develop other leaders along the way.
• Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
• 5+ years professional experience in system software development and delivery
• 3+ years of experience building, leading, managing and mentoring high-performance engineering teams
• Proven object-oriented design and implementation skills (Java, and/or C++), preferably on Linux
• Deep understanding of computing systems, software architecture, data structures and algorithms
• Proven track record iteratively delivering high quality software on time
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• Experience developing system software, distributed systems and data networking offerings
• Knowledge of storage solutions
• Working knowledge of storage performance challenges and their solutions
• Proficient in network, distributed, asynchronous and concurrent programming
• Familiar with building secure software and security algorithms
• Experience building and operating scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• Experience developing a product vision
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but are necessary for Amazon leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Hires and develops great people
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Strong results orientation
- Thinks big
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit