Software Development Manager - Amazon DynamoDB
- Seattle, WA
Want to shape the future of a NoSQL database service that supports mission-critical workloads operating at more than 20 million requests per second? Let's take its speed and efficiency to the next level!
Amazon DynamoDB is a key-value and document database that delivers single-digit-millisecond performance at any scale. As a fast-growing service at the core of the AWS Cloud, our business and engineering decisions have widespread impact across AWS, Amazon, and beyond. Many of the world's fastest growing businesses such as Lyft, Airbnb, and Redfin, as well as enterprises such as Samsung, Toyota, and Capital One depend on the scale and performance of DynamoDB to support their mission-critical workloads.
We are looking for an engineering leader eager to own a new initiative to write the next generation of the storage engine for DynamoDB with optimized system performance and cost efficiency. In this role, you will lead us on a journey toward a next-generation cloud database that takes advantage of the latest hardware advancements to deliver amazing performance at an attractive price point.
As a software development manager on the DynamoDB Storage team, you will lead a team of passionate engineers to build reliable, highly optimized systems. You and your team will sit at the unique crossroads where low-level storage systems and high-scale distributed systems intersect. To succeed in the role, you must be passionate about both solving deep technical challenges and being a great people manager. You must care deeply about system availability and reliability, and understand what it means to own a mission-critical service.
Engineers say DynamoDB is a technically challenging space that requires innovative solutions. As a software development manager on the DynamoDB team, you will build, lead, and grow an amazing team of software developers to solve technical problems for which there are no easy answers. You will closely partner with our product management team to better understand customers' needs, regularly solicit feedback from key customers, and set the vision of how to evolve DynamoDB going forward.
If you want to test your limits, build a world-class team, and tackle challenges at a scale and level of impact rarely seen, join us.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or five or more years of work experience in software development as an equivalent.
• Two or more years of people management experience leading software development teams.
• Experience designing, building, and operating large-scale distributed systems or web services running on servers in multiple data centers or Availability Zones.
• A Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
• Seven or more years of work experience in software development, including four or more years as a people manager.
• A track record of successfully leading an agile software development team to deliver projects on a schedule.
• The ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A track record of hiring and retaining great software development engineers.
• Experience with relational and nonrelational database systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top