Software Development Manager - Amazon DynamoDB
- Dublin, Ireland
Want to shape the future of a NoSQL database service that supports mission-critical workloads operating at more than 100 million requests per second? Let's take its speed and efficiency to the next level!
Amazon DynamoDB is a key-value and document database that delivers single-digit-millisecond performance at any scale. As a fast-growing service at the core of the AWS Cloud, our business and engineering decisions have widespread impact across AWS, Amazon, and beyond. Many of the world's fastest growing businesses such as Lyft, Airbnb, and Redfin, as well as enterprises such as Samsung, Toyota, and Capital One depend on the scale and performance of DynamoDB to support their mission-critical workloads.
We are looking for an engineering leader eager to own the initiative to deliver the next generation of the Metadata engine for DynamoDB with optimized system performance and cost efficiency.
As a software development manager on the DynamoDB team, you will lead a team of passionate engineers to build reliable and highly scalable distributed systems. This is a good opportunity to pave the path for a new generation of cloud database services, grow as a technology leader, and work with some really smart people. To succeed in the role, you must be passionate about both solving deep technical challenges and being a great people manager. You must care deeply about system availability and reliability, and understand what it means to own a mission-critical service that handles hundreds of millions of requests per second, with submillisecond latencies and eight 9s of availability. You must be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will be smart, ambitious, love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class systems & software engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
You must have a strong Agile product management and delivery experience. The successful candidate will create and implement product roadmaps for the team using Agile methodologies. This will include helping innovate and invent new value-add services layered on top of our existing services. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. You will set the vision of how to evolve DynamoDB going forward.
You must have a strong operational experience, with a track record of operating highly available fault tolerant systems. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. He/she will excel at using metrics, monitoring and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes and performance of their team. The candidate must be comfortable operating in a fast moving, dynamic environment.
If you want to test your limits, build a world-class team, and tackle challenges at a scale and level of impact rarely seen, join us!
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer minority / women / disability / veteran / gender identity / sexual orientation / age.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or five or more years of work experience in software development as an equivalent.
• Two or more years of people management experience leading software development teams.
• Experience designing, building, and operating large-scale distributed systems or web services.
• A Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
• Seven or more years of work experience in software development, including four or more years as a people manager.
• A proven track record of leading a team to deliver complex, scalable, fault-tolerant systems successfully.
• The ability to drive major projects across teams and within a team.
• Demonstrated success working across organizational boundaries, bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A track record of hiring and retaining great software development engineers.
• Experience with relational and nonrelational database systems.
Back to top