Software Development Manager - Amazon Books / Kindle
- Bexley, United Kingdom
Are you excited by the opportunity to build a diverse and high performing software development team? Do you want to help the world read more and get more out of reading every day? Do you like the idea of seeing your work impact tens of millions of customers? Answer yes to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon Kindle and Books. We are a smart team of builders working together to deliver an amazing reading experience to our customers across a large and growing number of computing and mobile environments.
As a Software Development Manager, you will guide an engineering team to define, develop, deploy, and operate large-scale mobile and web client applications and distributed cloud services to deliver an immersive reading experience for our global customers. You will be responsible for building, maintaining, and organizing your team, defining your technical strategy and product road map, and defining, measuring, and reporting on your key performance and operational excellence metrics.
A successful candidate will have a track record of building diverse and high performing teams that invent, build, and operate high quality software at scale in a global organization. The candidate will also be passionate about recruiting and retaining top talent, thrive while driving clarity in highly ambiguous technical environments, be skilled at developing long-term technical roadmaps, and have the technical depth and ability to guide and coach developers. This position also requires excellent project management skills, great empathy and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
In this role you will:
• Own the overall systems development life cycle of a key product and related subsystems.
• Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments.
• Manage the day-to-day activities of an engineering team in an agile environment.
• Work closely with engineers, product managers, UX designers, and others to design and architect products and technical solutions aligned with the goals and vision of Amazon Kindle and Books.
• Manage departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and growing careers and a best-in-class engineering team.
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, deep technical expertise, know how to deliver, are highly innovative, and looking for the opportunity to build great teams that invent pioneering solutions to meaningful problems, we want to talk with you.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years experience building production software systems
• 3+ years of people management experience
• Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
• Experience building products and services running in cloud.
• Experience building customer facing technology products.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• A love of books
Back to top