Software Development Manager – Alexa Smart Home
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home.
This role reports to a single-threaded leader within Alexa Smart Home and will manage software development and engineering team focused on enabling customers to use voice to interact with the devices within and about their homes.
You start with the customer and work backwards. Your technical knowledge and expertise is broad and deep. You have experience designing, building, and operating public APIs at Internet scale. The systems you build support highly complex business requirements, and scale with simple and elegant solutions that are highly decoupled. You have a demonstrated capability of driving dev-ops operational excellence for Internet scale services. You raise the bar for hiring, developing, motivating, and retaining engineering talent. You thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment where new value is delivered to customers weekly.
As the Manager for Software Development for Alexa's Smart Home capabilities, you will be responsible for the invention of disruptive technologies designed to simplify consumer customers' lives. The problem space spans IoT-scale ('billions of devices') cloud services and low-latency, secure, and reliable, home networks. It involves challenging customer experience problems as well as developing 3rd party ecosystems.
You will be joining a select group of a people making history producing one of the most highly rated products in Amazon's history.
As a software development leader you will...
▪ Lead a team of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of the Smart Home capabilities of Alexa.
▪ Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
▪ Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
▪ Work closely with other teams across Alexa and AWS to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
▪ Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying 'billions of device' IoT complexity.
▪ Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
▪ Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon on a weekly basis.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS▪ 6+ years of experience building and managing development teams
▪ Experience in delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies
▪ Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent)
▪ Experience developing long-term strategies and influences leadership decisions
▪ Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
▪ Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
▪ Program and project management experience and skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top