Software Development Manager, Alexa Personality
- Seattle, WA
Are you interested in making Alexa the most lovable and understanding AI in the world? Our team's vision is to design and develop experiences that make Alexa's communication be natural, simple and fun. We build powerful, positive emotional connections between Alexa and our customers. We entertain, delight, and inspire customers while making Alexa more relatable by imbuing her with human characteristics and personality, and enabling other teams to do likewise. We are an essential part of helping customers feel that Alexa is a trusted companion in their daily life.
The Alexa Personality team is looking for a Software Development Manager with a strong technical background, customer obsession and solid people management skills to manage and develop a talented and experienced engineering team. Strong judgment and communication skills, long-term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for the success in this role. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a lot, have fun and delight millions of customers.
Specific Responsibilities include the following:
• Lead a technical team that owns development, quality and technical project management.
• Challenge your team to explore and define new and novel customer experiences.
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the team within an Agile/Scrum environment as you build.
• Launch and iterate across multiple devices and countries, starting with rapid experimentation and iteration
• Own and continuously reduce operational load
• Manage departmental resources, staffing and mentoring
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field
• At least 4 years of experience managing software development teams
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Graduate degree (MS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related technical field
• Knowledge of standard AI, NLU, and ASR fundamentals, concepts and techniques
• Strong experience working effectively with UX Design teams, creative content teams, and coordinated delivery withing a software engineering program made up of several teams.
• Strong project management experience desired for working on cross-functional projects
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
• Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top