The Alexa Connected Devices team builds primitive services applicable across Alexa enabled devices to simplify customer interactions and developer integrations with Alexa. We delight our customers by making Alexa setup as easy as screwing in a light bulb and by allowing customers to use their Alexa enabled devices naturally. We help make Alexa smarter by giving her the ability to observe and remember her surroundings. We delight our enterprise developers with easy to use APIs.
We're seeking a Software Development Manager to lead the development of highly-visible core infrastructure that manages key data across all internal and third-party Alexa enabled devices. These systems empower customer voice and visual experiences across Alexa.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
• The changes we make directly impact the customer experience usage of Alexa enabled devices.
• This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
• You will drive project execution, recruit, hire, and develop the industry's top engineering talent.
• This is a great position for someone who likes backend development, Amazon Web Services, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
• We're looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable and robust systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
The Software Development Manager will:
• Own development of their product end-to-end
• Provide technical direction within your team
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
• Continue to innovate on the framework to support registry of smart devices and applications worldwide
• Manage a development team focused on creating the complex back-end infrastructure
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability
The ideal candidate has a track record of launching projects with Java/C#, C++, Perl, and distributed computing technologies on a Linux platform.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a team
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation