Software Development Manager
Would you like to be one of the leaders of a team that is solving new business challenges through innovative technology?
The Team: We are forming a new team to support Amazon Books and Amazon Go. About these 2 businesses:
- Amazon Books is a brick and mortar store that offers a curated selection of books and an array of Amazon devices. It is a magical experience that combines the best parts of a neighborhood bookstore with Amazon.com's low prices and the expertise of passionate, knowledgeable staff who tailor their approach to the unique needs of each customer. You can find out more about Amazon Bookstores at https://www.amazon.com/amazonbooks.
- Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout—you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go! Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design. You can find out more about Amazon Go at https://www.amazon.com/go
This new team's charter is to deliver a scalable, robust and secure device platform for our physical stores. You will be building the applications, tools and services that enable our associates to operate the stores, using a wide variety of devices such as mobile handheld devices, point-of-sale stations, demo devices, etc... You will also define and implement the strategy for Mobile Device Management (MDM) for our devices to enable remote updates, monitoring and troubleshooting. You will be designing and developing the core primitives for that device platform, such as associate authentication.
The Role: We are looking for a talented, smart, and driven SDM for this new team that keeps the store fully stocked with items that customers want to buy. You will lead a team of talented SDEs and SEas to work in a fast-paced organization, solving complex and challenging problems that will enable us to scale quickly to support multiple stores. You'll get to interact with customers in-person daily, and be a customer yourself.
You can expect all the challenges and benefits of an early-stage, high-profile business: wide-open space for improvement and innovation, a strong team and a fast-paced environment. These will require a willingness to dive into the details, solve new problems as they arise, being right a lot, looking around corners and always obsessing over customers. Everyone on the team wears different hats, and ownership of the CX is key.
As a Development manager, you will identify, hire and build a world-class team of Development Engineers to define, drive and execute on this vision. You will initiate processes that allow the team to collaborate with partner teams in Amazon with a high degree of efficiency. You will develop a team of highly motivated and talented individuals that can collaborate with Program Managers, Product Managers and SDEs across the company on high impact initiatives. You will design, build and own supply chain features and solutions that will delight our customers.
- Responsible for the overall development life cycle of the solution and manage complex projects with significant bottom line impact
- Work with product managers in developing a strategy and road map to provide compelling supply chain capabilities.
- Work closely with senior engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
- Project management - prioritization , planning of projects and features, Stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments
- Operational Excellence - monitoring & operation of production services
- Career management and development of direct reports
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience;
- 10+ years of Software Development experience; 3+ years of experience in building and leading strong engineering teams
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in building web services and highly scalable applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Managed a team of 8+ engineers
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top